Thread: Experience with Jet JWBS-14CSW Band Saw?

Experience with Jet JWBS-14CSW Band Saw?

Someone near me is selling a Jet JWBS-14CSW and dust collector pretty cheap. I would like to have a second band saw. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this thing. I see good reviews and bad. I've seen some people claim the tensioner is no good, but based on its appearance, I could make a better one from scrap.

It comes with a Jet DC-650BK dust collector, which would be nice to have.

Total price is $650. Based on the criticisms I've seen, maybe $550 is more sane. The saw and dust collector look like they're barely used.
    Last edited by Steve H Graham; 08-29-2019 at 1:59 PM.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

The tools come with 3 extra Olson blades. No idea whether they're any good.

Blog Entries
    I have had that saw for at least 10 years. I put a riser block in it.
    It is on a roll around base. I am really happy with it.

Looks like the whole mess retails for $1000.

If I'm I'm not mistaken, that's generally the same Jet 14" band saw I had prior to buying my bigger MM16. In many respects, I'm sorry I didn't keep it as a second saw, but space is what space is. My experience with it was good. And since it's pretty much is a "standard" setup, there is a lot of third party support for it and it's cousins with different paint jobs, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have owned one for a long time, probably for more that 15 years. It is a second saw now but I would never give it up. I did everything on it for years with zero problems.

I see people complaining about several things.

1. Lack of power.
    2. Table hard to adjust to specific angles because it moves when you tighten it.
    3. Aluminum wheels.

Steve

I have owned that band saw for many years now. It's a fine machine as long as it is used within it's capabilities. I also have a Rikon 18" band saw.
    A nice clean band saw and dust collector in working condition in the price range you're quoting is something to consider. These are both older machines though, but still, they're not bad machines.

I have never had any issues with the trunions or table mechanism on my band saw. Then again, I'm not trying to drop heavy log blanks on it for bowl blanks, and I don't use it for resawing.
    The tension mechanism and spring are a different story. Mine were pretty "crappy, and had been modified.
    As for the lack of power, this is a small, light duty, band saw. It is not a resaw monster, and never will be.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I see people complaining about several things.

1. Lack of power.
    2. Table hard to adjust to specific angles because it moves when you tighten it.
    3. Aluminum wheels.
    I think you'd likely find similar comments about any of the 14" saws that share the design regardless of paint color. There's so little that differentiates them, honestly. Often, folks who complain about power are trying to cut too much too fast with these machines...they were not designed to cut deep and fast. But with the correct blade and the correct slower feed rate, they can do impressive work. Woodworkers so rarely tilt the table that most folks wouldn't notice any issues with locking at an angle, but I agree it could be frustrating for someone who does use that feature. Aluminum wheels. Meh...at 14" diameter, something heavier isn't going to make a huge difference, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...