Thread: You never know what you are going to find.

You never know what you are going to find.

One of my hobbies is going to the local thrift stores. Sometimes I find gems. Sometimes nothing.

And my find today! Corel X5. No manual just the DVD which still has the serial in the case. I thought it might not work, but for $2 is was worth the chance. It worked
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 08-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I use X5 even though I have a newer version.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have a few macros that were written for X5 and the developer won't rewrite them for anything more current, so I use X5 and X8 on my primary machine. The one thing about X5 that you'll find frustrating is that the menus don't appear until you hover over them. When Corel designed their menus they didn't follow the Windows conventions for color schemes and when Windows updated to 10 ( I believe it was 10) the menus broke. Lot's of people blamed Microsoft/Windows but it was actually sloppy/lazy coding on Corel's part. There are a couple of ways to get around it, search youtube and you should find some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    One of my hobbies is going to the local thrift stores. Sometimes I find gems. Sometimes nothing.

And my find today! Corel X5. No manual just the DVD which still has the serial in the case. I thought it might not work, but for $2 is was worth the chance. It worked

So I found a fix for the menus. Now my menus are all visible and things seem to be working fine. I am running Windows 10

What did you find and where did you find it? I searched for a fix not long after it happened but there wasn't anything 100% so I didn't bother and haven't looked since.

So in corel x5 you can create your own workspaces. You might already know that. You can then save the the workspace in a .XSLT file format.

There are plenty of tutorials on how to do this. So you can do this manually. But I found a video that has one created already. So this is pretty easy. You just go into workspaces in corel draw and import it. The sound on the video is hard to understand, but it is easy to just follow along visually. There is also a link for the workspace file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkOszoHkEA
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Thanks Clark!