Thread: post moved

post moved

Hi!

I posted about a fund raiser for a seriously ill woodworker, Chris Hall. The post is now listed as moved but I can't access it. I get the screen about not having permissions, etc. Can you explain?

Regards,

Don

Not a moderator or anything Don, but if a moderator is not sure a post is permitted by the site rules they sometimes move them to a forum where they can discuss it among themselves. The message on that post looks to me like that is what happened. I did not read the post before it was moved, so I can’t offer any more insight.

I just looked and I don't see it at all. So I am guessing that Nick is right - that the guys moved it, discussed it, decided it was outside SMC's terms of service, and (reluctantly) deleted it. I say that because I can't recall seeing any fundraisers for individuals posted here, before that one. If so, I'm sorry.

I hope that your fundraiser is very successful in helping Chris and that he gets better, soon.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-29-2019 at 6:55 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've had posts deleted once in a while and I think it should be standard procedure that the person who deleted the post send the poster a quick note as to why it was deleted instead of leaving them wonder what happened to it....

Blog Entries
    The post was moved because we don't allow links to fund raisers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I've had posts deleted once in a while and I think it should be standard procedure that the person who deleted the post send the poster a quick note as to why it was deleted instead of leaving them wonder what happened to it....
    2nd that idea
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

As Lee mentions, the SMC TOS does not permit any kind of fund raising links. If they were permitted, even for good causes like this, the forums would be inundated with them as they are insanely popular these days, for both good and bad reasons.

Jim
    SMC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Not a moderator or anything Don, but if a moderator is not sure a post is permitted by the site rules they sometimes move them to a forum where they can discuss it among themselves. The message on that post looks to me like that is what happened. I did not read the post before it was moved, so I can’t offer any more insight.
    Thanks for your response. The moderators have responded that TOS does not allow posting of fund raisers.

Thanks for your response. The moderators have responded that TOS does not allow posting of fund raisers.

Thanks for your response. I was afraid of that. Any suggestions on how to reach the woodworking community in general?

Since Members no longer have access to Private Messages we don't have a means of communication available. We can use email but that makes our Moderators email addresses visible which can be a problem.

FWIW I am trying my best to maintain some level of free access here and still be able to fund The Creek at a reasonable level. Several months ago I had decided to remove all free access but I have decided to continue it for awhile to see if reduced privileges will help us to convert the majority here to Contributors. The numbers of Contributors are increasing at a very slow rate but that is progress I can live with at this point in time.