Thread: Why Everyone Needs A Moravian Bench

Why Everyone Needs A Moravian Bench

The 99th reason everyone needs a Moravian bench. I assembled the portable Moravian bench in the back garden to help with final work on the new bench build. That need is finished so it is back to the bench's normal storage area.

moravianBenchStored.jpg

As you can see apart it takes up maybe 4 square feet of floor space. Together or apart in less than 5 minutes and a "real" bench to work on where needed. Every homeowner should have one.

ken

Need more time on mine to be 100% sure, but at this point am 95% plus certain that if I build a knockdown it will be a Nicholson.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The 99th reason everyone needs a Moravian bench. I assembled the portable Moravian bench in the back garden to help with final work on the new bench build. That need is finished so it is back to the bench's normal storage area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG
    As you can see apart it takes up maybe 4 square feet of floor space. Together or apart in less than 5 minutes and a "real" bench to work on where needed. Every homeowner should have one.

ken
    Wow Ken, that disassembles beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Need more time on mine to be 100% sure, but at this point am 95% plus certain that if I build a knockdown it will be a Nicholson.
    Nicholas,

Everyone's bench needs and wants are different. I've never built an English bench so I can't say anything about the ease of build or the portability but I do have an English style apron on one of my Roubo builds and the apron makes it a much better bench than it was before adding the apron. With that said, I expect the French/English bench is going to be pushed over against the wall so it is out of the way (in other words becomes a flat surface storage area) and replaced by the latest Moravian build. While the portable Moravian stays in it's 4 sq. ft. area waiting to be needed.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Wow Ken, that disassembles beautifully.
    Mark,

Yes it does, what originally started me down the road to Moravian bench fanboy hood was looking for a bench that would fit in my motorhome side bin. Which this bench does.

Will Myers has a video of putting together a fully disassembled Moravian bench in less than one minute. It usually takes me a little longer but if I need the bench somewhere in the house or back garden from where it is now stored to being in place and useable is usually about 5 minutes or less. When finished using it putting it back in it's corner takes about the same time.

ken

Nothing against the Moravians(or anything else for that matter). If your travels bring you and your traveling RV show to the east coast, stop in and I will gladly try it out.

My thought process is really just that the lack of a vise would be a noticeable advantage in a knockdown. That, and my new Nicholson is still shiny and new enough that I can admit no flaws....

Nicholas,

Everyone's bench needs and wants are different. I've never built an English bench so I can't say anything about the ease of build or the portability but I do have an English style apron on one of my Roubo builds and the apron makes it a much better bench than it was before adding the apron. With that said, I expect the French/English bench is going to be pushed over against the wall so it is out of the way (in other words becomes a flat surface storage area) and replaced by the latest Moravian build. While the portable Moravian stays in it's 4 sq. ft. area waiting to be needed.

ken

Wow Ken, the small area that the disassembled bench takes up is a really strong selling point. It is one thing to hear that said, but it has quite a different effect to actually see a photo of it being stored. A good thing to know. I am pretty sure that my first real bench will be one of them.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Nothing against the Moravians(or anything else for that matter). If your travels bring you and your traveling RV show to the east coast, stop in and I will gladly try it out.

My thought process is really just that the lack of a vise would be a noticeable advantage in a knockdown. That, and my new Nicholson is still shiny and new enough that I can admit no flaws....
    Nicholas,

Be careful, someday you might hear that big Cat purring in your driveway . The vise module on the Moravian with either a wood screw or the BC screw is pretty light and takes up little room. It is not a problem to store, move, or install. That said, my guess is about 80% of work holding is easier and even better without using a vise.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Wow Ken, the small area that the disassembled bench takes up is a really strong selling point. It is one thing to hear that said, but it has quite a different effect to actually see a photo of it being stored. A good thing to know. I am pretty sure that my first real bench will be one of them.

Stew
    Stew,

Thanks, I know I can be a broken record on the subject but all you need to do is work on one for awhile to fall in love. For today's woodworker it is a better bench, not that great for the mine is bigger than yours crowd and sure doesn't call for a lot of hooting and bragging but it gets the job done with great flexibility.

ken

On another forum a reply to a similar post said something like "..Thanks for moving this to its own thread. The preaching on the (other) thread was getting to be a bit much..I’m not “everyone” I guess. I don’t need a mobile/breakdown bench." Truth is he is correct, not everyone needs a Moravian bench but they sure are handy.

moravianBenchAsATable.jpg

benchPNW.jpg

patPaintingDoor.jpg

travelBenchBackGardenA180501dscf2685.jpg

ken

I prefer English Nicholson

moravianBenchStored.jpg

ken
    I prefer traditional English Nicholson workbench design: clean and functional.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.