Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling in tight spaces

Drilling in tight spaces

There are two situations: Imagine drilling inside a box with the drill pointing down:

1. The drill or the chuck is too fat to get close to the side of the box

2. The drill and bit are too tall to get into the box

What kind of drills do you use to get into these spots?

Sometimes even a two man job with one of these, and a long flexible drive extension: https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-13.../dp/B01HHN52OG

The bosch flexiclick drill/driver is very useful in such tight spots. It has an offset head that lets you get closer to obstructions, and can be combined with the right angle head when access is limited in two directions.

Tom mentioned long flexible drives, but simple extensions are sometimes useful, and shorter flexible extensions also. All of these are designed for use with hex drive bits, but now drill bits with hex shafts are readily available.

Finally, the little dewalt right angle drive for hex bits is handy, particularly if you don't have the bosch flexiclick.

I have an old Festool CDD 12 volt drill that came with an offset chuck and a 90 degree chuck. Not my primary drill so I keep the 90 installed all the time and had the NiCd batteries rebuilt just to keep the chucks going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    There are two situations: Imagine drilling inside a box with the drill pointing down:

1. The drill or the chuck is too fat to get close to the side of the box

2. The drill and bit are too tall to get into the box

What kind of drills do you use to get into these spots?
    Regarding item #1: Either drill before assembly or use a longer drill bit (where possible). In a quick search, I found several kinds and lengths on Amazon. Search for "aircraft drill bits". LINK

For #2, I use a 90* head that attaches to my Ridgid Multi-tool.

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use a pancake drill or a porkchop drill extension to drill inside electrical boxes for side mounting screws in old work. then I use a 1/4 air ratchet to drive the mounting screws. I use the 1/4" head washerhead screws designed to mount metal roofing.
    Bill D

I have used the Bosch FlexiClick to get in some very tight places. It can get into places where little else goes. The ability to orient the drill motor relative to the accessory chucks offers excellent versatility.

FlexiClick.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

I encounter both of these situations once in a while, and what I have used is a small drill bit mounted in a Dremel flex shaft. It will get into very tight spaces. If you had to do it often, then maybe one of the other suggestions would be better.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 08-28-2019 at 9:58 AM.

Festool drills, such as the C12 I have, have a choice of heads. One is an offset, and another is a right angle.

From the Internet ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I use a pancake drill or a porkchop drill extension to drill inside electrical boxes for side mounting screws in old work. then I use a 1/4 air ratchet to drive the mounting screws.
    Bill D
    Bill
    You can drill inside an electrical box? What tools are these?

Ok I googled and found them. Cool!
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 08-28-2019 at 9:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't run into the situation often and so use a low cost solution. Mine happens to be the DeWalt but other option are similarly proced. I use the short drills shown in split and brad point. These handy items live in a drawer but, when I need them I am glad to have them. A littl more flexibility can be had with one of these but, they are harder to control if looks or accuracy are a concern.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Bill
    You can drill inside an electrical box? What tools are these?

Ok I googled and found them. Cool!
    They do make a 1/4" chuck that screws in in place of a threaded drill bit. Of course such drills only run one way or the bits unscrew. Ebay or Browns

Blog Entries
    I would hold the box up to the wood, draw circles where the holes belong, and drill pilot hole or full size holes as required.

Blog Entries
    And for short drill bits, look up "stub drill bits" . https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stub+dril...l_7sfhv29cpx_e
    NOW you tell me...

C12 Festool does great in those situations.