Thread: Face vice for mini bench

Face vice for mini bench

Going to build modified mini bench FFW Steve Latta takeoff. Which face vice would be best spending around $150.00.

Thank you for advice in advance

Tim

I am not familiar with the S Latta bench you mention, but believe that Yost (available via Amazon) vises have been praised here in the past as well-working, inexpensive vises. If the Latta bench requires something different than what I call a face vise, my apology for jumping in without knowing what is required.
    David

I would think that the obvious face vise for a mini bench would be a double screw, which will then behave as a Moxon dovetail vise.

Here is a mini bench I made for demonstrations at wood shows and clubs. It has a wagon vise and a double screw vise, both shop made.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you want wooden screws Acer-Ferrous Toolworks has a kit designed for a mini workbench similar to Derek's for $85 plus a $39.90 tap (sold separately). I recently bought a pair of full-size screws from Paul and had a great experience.

I posted this in the thread: 'Cost of building a bench':

===== paste =====
    I'm in the acquiring stage for making a benchtop workspace. I looked at the one from Derek Cohen and at the milkman's. Came across Mike Siemsen with the viseless workbench.

I'm going to make a "Swiss cheese butcher block" <wink> (have not come up with a good name yet, he he) that I can plonk down on a strong table or on some other support.

It will be simlar to the Sjoberg new elite clamping platform # 33467 except it will be larger and with a 2" thick beech top and 4½" high sides. There will be some cross bracing underneath that will help preventing the unit from tipping over. I have not yet decided on the length and width and am strongly considering 45" long by 16" wide. Suggestions are welcome but I have to work with a 86½" long, 23½" wide and 1-1/32" thick beech panel. (double thickness top)

The vertical corners will be rounded - I'm for ever bumping into things and have enough of bruises. (Which is why developped an adversion to vises over time.)

There will be an area in the bottom with a sliding lid. It will be holding clamping parts: a mixture of Veritas, Bessey F-clamps and wooden pegs.

Total projected weight (if using all the timber without any waste) is 66 pounds and some grips will be made in the narrow ends.

When I do not need the workbench for a while then I will store it out of the way. Total projected cost at this stage is 260 USD for the bench and the Veritas parts. I'm not counting the Bessey clamps since I already had those.

edit: The size is based on the Sjoberg bench top # 33110 as used in schools. Initially I considered using a Will Myer tail vise but the additional cost put me off.

=====end=====

Since posting the above I have decided on making it shorter and wider, it will end up being about 810mm x 530mm or in inches: 31 ½" x 20 ¾". I am not going to have a vise but I can always add a Moxon to both ends should I want to do so (or if a new owner wants to do so). It will have plenty of 20mm holes, just like Swiss cheese and it will be solid like a butcher's block. Attached a picture of the Sjoberg's bench add-on (600mm x 480mm).

I've worked for years without a vise then made a bench with a vise and discovered it ws rare that I used it and even on those occasions I could just as easily have done without it. So back to a vise less bench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whitley View Post
    Going to build modified mini bench FFW Steve Latta takeoff. Which face vice would be best spending around $150.00.

Thank you for advice in advance

Tim
    Just had a look at the suggested workbench.

Personally I would be very tempted in getting a smaller vise and the Veritas inset vise comes to mind and at Lee Valley it is around a hundred US.