Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think is the best rolling base for heavy tools?

I always make my own so I can get the dimensions exactly to the machine. I use mainly 1 1/4" angle iron and gusset the corners if the machine is really heavy. Cut short sections of angle iron and flip them over, weld them on for the casters (this helps keep the machine low). My heaviest machine on this style is my Felder AD741 it works very well, and locks down nicely.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    The down sides of using a pallet jack are that you have to have room for the jack, maneuverability is not as good as with 4 swivel casters, and many machines have to be raised enough to get the jack under.

On my Stubby lathe I use ratcheting machine leveling casters with a 600# capacity each. My lathe does provide a mounting point so I used a piece of Baltic Birch plywood to attach the casters ( Similar to the Footmaster caster below)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe a little late on this one. I just discovered the Shop Fox Mobile Base with steel wheels. I've had other types of wheels disintegrate on me over time. I now have them on a few of my heaviest machines, one of which is 800#. With the steel wheels, it rolls very nicely and wheels won't go bad.
    By the way, I also have the Footmasters. They are great. Only issue is the cost and mounting.

In the past I've made my own from steel, have also used several brands but the only one i'll use now is the Rockler all terrain base. Wheels are I think 5"; very adjustable, easy to maneuver and holds 800 lbs. Pallet jacks are good if you're not limited on space.

Another vote for the PortaMate 3500. We have one under our MiniMax FS30. The 3500 makes it easy to move the machine around in our small, crowded shop.