Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the best rolling base for heavy tools?

Blog Entries

What do you think is the best rolling base for heavy tools?

I have a Baileigh 25" surface sander on the way and I need a rolling base for it. it measures 41 x 12.5 at the base. It weighs around 600 lbs. I would like it to fit the base, not one size fits all if it hangs out too much other than the wheels.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    The SawStop ICS mobile base is excellent and if the dimensions of your sander fit, would work well. It has a hydraulic lift and all 4 wheels swivel.

I have the portamate pm3550 and the 3500. I had a Felder ad941 on the 3550 and it rolled around no problems, i think it weighs 1300-1400 pounds. I will tell you on that heavy of a machine i would have preferred the two fixed wheel version of the 3500

mark

I’ve been very happy with the grizzly bear crawl bases. I have 3 and installed a few more for a client. They have three or four different versions now.

Mount it to some 4x4s and use a pallet jack...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Davies View Post
    Mount it to some 4x4s and use a pallet jack...
    Dave
    The above ^.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I have the portamate pm3550 and the 3500. I had a Felder ad941 on the 3550 and it rolled around no problems, i think it weighs 1300-1400 pounds. I will tell you on that heavy of a machine i would have preferred the two fixed wheel version of the 3500

mark
    I have these under a few machines. With the extension bars you can go to 44" (Bora Portamate PM-3036) or two extension bar sets and the coupler (Bora Portamate PM-3014) all the way to 78" .

I'm trying the 4 wheel turning casters, versus the two wheel swivel and two wheel fixed, on my Shaper (800lbs) for the first time, so have no experience as of yet.

But they make rolling the tool around very easy.

The Bora 3500 is a nice, heavy duty, mobile base.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I like a pallet jack. I have a planer that weighs 2 tons I can move with it.

I have a narrow pallet jack that I use for my Felder saw and my laguna lathe as needed since they don’t move much, but for my hammer jointer/planer, nova DP and MM16 bandsaw I use the portamate 3500 base as it is much easier to move them a little during use in my small shop. The pallet jack takes too much logistical movement to get in place due to my shop size. So, I vote both. LOL

+1 on the Portamate 3500 & 3550 depending upon how many wheels you want to pivot. I have several & all work wonderfully. I am on my 1st Grizzly Bear Crawl HD "Papa Bear". It appears to be an excellent base for the price. I will probably buy more of those as they appear very comparable but at a lesser cost. I have a Shop Fox Super Heavy duty base under my drill press (probably over kill, but I wanted the metal wheels as I do significant metal work on it. Enjoy the shopping.

I also recommend the Grizzly Bear Crawl Papa Bear base; have it on my 500# bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The SawStop ICS mobile base is excellent and if the dimensions of your sander fit, would work well. It has a hydraulic lift and all 4 wheels swivel.
    I bought that base for a milling machine. The hydraulic foot pedal lifts the machine with just a couple of toe presses and lowers with a toe on a release lever. Well made, I think rated for 1000 lbs. One nice thing about this base is when lowered the load is solidly on the floor with just 1/4" of steel underneath.

JKJ

I do agree the Pallet Jack is best which is what I now use for the j/p and the slider but i like the mobile base on the bandsaw and the drill press which get moved around more. The saw and j/p don't move that much. the other issue i had with the mobile base on the j/p was that the little it sticks out I kept wacking my ankle on the outrigger that supports the wheel on pm3550

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post

mark