Thread: Using the Beachcrafted Classic Vise with 14" Crisscross

Using the Beachcrafted Classic Vise with 14" Crisscross

This is a short video showing spinning the vise open, placing a length of 1X in the jaw and spinning it closed. When it closes, without further motivation or touching the vise handle I edge plane the edge and the board does not move. Then I show how much more handle movement is available with little effort, plane again, then remove the board with again little effort on the vise handle to open the vise and give it a spin.

This is one sweet vise. It is a very easy install and is reasonably priced. I will be replacing my wood screw with parallel guide vises on the other benches with the BC system.

Looks smooth. And I like the OHSA-approved footwear
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice, straight-forward bench and vise set-up. Care to share how much that completed bench cost? It sometimes pains me to see how much work goes into benchs that would have been improved with just a bit more spent for hardwood instead of construction lumber.

What are you going to do with the wooden ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Looks smooth. And I like the OHSA-approved footwear

Chris,

Those are my work boots, most of the time I’m commando. Someday I’ll pay the price but so far quick feet has saved me.

Amazing how a small change can work, I hated the BC vise with the wheel but this one with a Johnson bar is a treat.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    What are you going to do with the wooden ones?
    Ralph,

I expect if I ever get around to it sell them to a good home.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Nice, straight-forward bench and vise set-up. Care to share how much that completed bench cost? It sometimes pains me to see how much work goes into benchs that would have been improved with just a bit more spent for hardwood instead of construction lumber.
    Thanks Mike,

For proof of concept I’ll visit Home Depot but once I’m comfortable with the build it will be one of the hardwoods. I don’t keep good records, afraid MsBubba might find them , but I expect slightly north of $1000 USD if everything was added up. That said, I don’t scrimp on wood and most of the time there is a good amount of waste, so with planning I expect it could be built for less than $800 USD.

ken