Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Bailey No 5 from the 60's

Sounds good. It is in nice condition according to the pictures! Very minimal rust, and looks like it has a corrugated sole wether that's good or not. I will jump on it. Once I get that one I will be looking for a number 7 or number 8 and I should have a decent working set, although my number 4 leaves a little to be desired. I received a no 4 Stanley handyman from my boss for free and it's practically brand new. It works well for what it is but doesn't fell as well built as the older ones. Andrew, I will have to keep hunting for the elusive $5 rummage sale plane.

Blog Entries
    Like Andrew, there is more than one jack plane in my shop.

If you count the low angle jack, there are five #5 size planes in my shop. There are also two #5-1/4 size and one #5-1/2 size. One each of the #5s and #5-1/4s are set up with heavily cambered blades for use as scrub planes. The #5-1/2 came with a cambered blade which has been replaced with a straight ground blade.

They all come in handy for different needs.

A corrugated sole is preferred by some, doesn't make much difference.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Jason, How about ponying up $6 to become a contributor so you can post some pictures?

Seeing the images with a post can also be helpful with posts like this:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ker-to-Jointer

My $21.25 #7 Is one of my favorite rehabilitation efforts.

This is how it looked when it got home:

Jointer Plane.jpg

Most of the dust had been brushed off before this image was taken.

The woman at the antique mall let me take it apart at the counter for inspection. The blade was in bad shape but the rest was all good.

This is how it looked after a clean up and some paint:

#7 Finished.jpg

The little chip at the front of the toe was smoothed with a file and isn't a problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

Well I saddled up and am a member now. I'll try to post some pictures here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well it looks like the pictures worked. They are asking $30 for it. From the info I can find from everyone it appears to me to be about a type 15 made 1931-32

Blog Entries
    I would buy it. You can replace the old japanning with black automotive paint, put a Hock Iron and Breaker in it and have a keeper plane.
    I have three Bedrock planes with Hock irons and breakers and they perform really good.
    It is a fun project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Well it looks like the pictures worked. They are asking $30 for it. From the info I can find from everyone it appears to me to be about a type 15 made 1931-32
    The indicator for quick ID are a raised ring at the knob, old style frog and no patent date.

Type 14 still has a patent date. Type 16 changed the frog to what is known as the ogee frog from the curves at the top. The face of the frog is a skeleton, as another poster mentioned, of its former full flat face.

Here is an old kettle of frogs from Brass City Records (if my memory is working):

Stanley Frog Types.jpg

Sadly Walt left this world a few years ago and the site is not active now.

jtk

Jim,

That picture is one of the best quick references I have ever seen. Thanks for posting it.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim,

That picture is one of the best quick references I have ever seen. Thanks for posting it.

Stew
    My pleasure Stew.

One thing this image does not have is the difference between the late and early type 9 frogs. The later type 9 frogs look more like the frogs of type 10 or later without the adjustment hardware.

Here is an old post on that subject for anyone who is interested:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234

It appears the configuration was a work in progress until the sweet spot in casting was found.

jtk

Well I asked the seller if he would be willing to meet me at a public location that was a short drive from his house to make the swap and he got pretty mad at me for asking so needless to say I did not get the plane. Oh well, the hunt goes on. Sorry to waste everyone's time but there is a lot of good information in this thread and I have learned a lot and know what to look for now. Thanks everyone for your time.

Jason,

No need to be sorry, you asked a question that may apply to a lot of folks, so it was good info for all of us. Hopefully the post will help you with your continued search. The picture Jim posted of the frogs of the different Stanley Bailey plane types is one of the quickest guides I have seen.

If I can figure out how to print it off I may do just that. I don't know though, I don't need any more planes at this point, but you never know.

I printed off the section of the Rexmill type study that applied to the type range I was interested in years ago, and it was a great help to me. The nice thing about the Rexmill study is that you don't have to take the plane apart to identify the type.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-30-2019 at 2:30 PM.

Happen to have a spare No. 5 sitting around....and a spare Millers Falls No. 14 ( same as a #5) Hmmm...price of shipping? As both have been rehabbed into users....

Steve,

I would definitely be interested if you are willing. I will send you a message

Have read and replied...

Ok...2 jack planes...
    Jack Plane sale, 2 jacks.JPG
    Stanley No. 5 in front, Millers Falls No. 14 in back...
    Jack Plane sale, frog adjusters.JPG
    Both have the frog adjust bolts...
    Jack Plane sale, no. 14 sole.JPG
    No. 14's sole..
    Jack Plane sale, no. 14 shavings.JPG
    Seems to work...The stanley has a cambered iron, though..
    Jack Plane sale, Stanley sole.JPG
    And a few logos...
    Jack Plane sale, Stanley logos.JPG
    Stanley will need a new rear handle, maybe..been using it as is.
    Jack Plane sale, Stanley handle.JPG
    Both of these are spares.