Thread: Sometimes Power Tools Can't Handle the Work

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Sometimes Power Tools Can't Handle the Work

It is time for collecting and storing seeds from the garden and one of the things that helps is a small box to keep things almost organized.

It wasn't a fancy box. Just something nailed together from a scrap of poplar. It is the same piece of poplar that was being planed in an earlier post.

My nails were actually more like little brads, ~1/2" long. My experience with nails has taught me to avoid splitting of thin wood by drilling pilot holes.

The brads diameter measured at about 3/64". It seemed an 0.040", #60 bit would do the job. Picked up my newest DeWalt cordless drill motor and started to close down the chuck. Imagine my dismay seeing slots in the jaws preventing it from hold a bit less than ~3/32".

The only way to use a #60 or other small bit in my shop is either one of the drill presses or my Millers Falls #2 eggbeater drill.

One has to hold the eggbeater back as the weight will make the drill bend and wobble. Sixteen holes drilled and as many brads driven home without any problem.

Makes me wonder why a fancy cordless drill is made without the ability to hold smaller bits…

Maybe there is a problem with too many people being heavy handed and breaking a lot of bits.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-26-2019 at 8:01 PM. Reason: words, words, words
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)