Thread: Rockwell 28-2C0 Motor upgrade

Question Rockwell 28-2C0 Motor upgrade

Hello all, I recently purchased a Rockwell 28-2C0 which is basically the wood only version of the 28-200 I learned thanks to you all here on the forum. I will be installing a 6" riser and will be using this to re-saw lumber. I don't feel the 3/4 HP motor is enough. I found an old 3 HP single phase(as I dont have 3ph in my shop) Fairbanks-Morse repulsion start induction motor. It is 1745 RPM and the motor I have is 1725 RPM. Will the 20 RPM difference matter? Also does this motor seem fit for the application? It is a 100 bucks which is quite a bit cheaper than other single phase options. I can probably get the guy to come down on the price if this will be a good fit for my application. I am just trying to save as much money as I can cause I still have other purchases to make to compete my wood-shop. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ill post some pics too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also just found this 1 1/2 hp baldor motor that is 1725 RPM but cant imagine 1 1/2 HP is better than 3 HP, but what do I know... Here are some pics.00T0T_8vYuLF0utKZ_1200x900.jpg00N0N_jew8FW5kBbd_1200x900.jpg

Aaron how much resawing are you talking about ? What width material ? The reason I ask is the road you are on sounds familiar to me, I to "upgraded my Delta with a 1.5 h.p. baldor and riser block. It works,I would not say real well. The cuts will be slow and the frame of the saw is not strong enough to tension blades bigger than about 1/2''. So that said if you need more look elsewhere (bigger-different saw). If this is what you have and the limitations are OK and the demands are reasonable by all means proceed. Either motor would work,the 3h.p. is overkill but if it is cheaper ,why not. It would not turn this saw into a resaw dream because the motor is only half of the equation. I still have my Delta,mostly because I spent too much on it to sell it. It is now my small saw with a 24'' Centauro 600 as its big brother.

Keep in mind you are looking at different frame sizes so the mounting will be different, the shaft diameter and pulleys are different, and the belt will need to be changed. The starter or switch may need to be swapped as well. Dave

that first motor is a good deal if you can test it and the bearings are ok. that saw may or may not handle 3 hp well. there is a reason there are 3 belts on that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Aaron how much resawing are you talking about ? What width material ? The reason I ask is the road you are on sounds familiar to me, I to "upgraded my Delta with a 1.5 h.p. baldor and riser block. It works,I would not say real well. The cuts will be slow and the frame of the saw is not strong enough to tension blades bigger than about 1/2''. So that said if you need more look elsewhere (bigger-different saw). If this is what you have and the limitations are OK and the demands are reasonable by all means proceed. Either motor would work,the 3h.p. is overkill but if it is cheaper ,why not. It would not turn this saw into a resaw dream because the motor is only half of the equation. I still have my Delta,mostly because I spent too much on it to sell it. It is now my small saw with a 24'' Centauro 600 as its big brother.
    I will be re-sawing any where from 4-10" usually around 6-8". I know this saw will have some limitations and I will likely find myself, like you, buying a bigger saw in the future. I just have to work with what I have for now because that is what is in my current budget. Do you think the 3 HP will outperform the 1.5 HP or do you think it wont make much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Keep in mind you are looking at different frame sizes so the mounting will be different, the shaft diameter and pulleys are different, and the belt will need to be changed. The starter or switch may need to be swapped as well. Dave
    I figured the mounting may be different but I can make that work most likely. As far as shaft diameter is concerned do you think the 1.5 HP motor has the same size shaft as my current 3/4 HP Baldor motor? If I go with the 3 hp I should just be able to buy a new pulley for the bigger shaft correct? As far as the starter/switch are you referring to my on off switch or the starter on the motor?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    that first motor is a good deal if you can test it and the bearings are ok. that saw may or may not handle 3 hp well. there is a reason there are 3 belts on that motor.
    You think I could break the saw with HP? I feel that old motors like the first one tend to run more belts than needed for the HP. I would switch it to a single belt pulley. Now a days we see 3 HP motors running off one v belt all the time so I'm not too concerned about slippage.

You will have to check the shaft sizes out. New pulleys will add cost as well as switches and plugs etc. I would only consider the 3h.p. route if it ended up cheaper overall. From my experience with upgrading my saw when I look back it was not worth the money spent. On that note if this is the route you have with your current budget ,try to do it as cheap as possible. I would even use a piece of steel tubing for the riser block. If you have a welder friend all you need is the block and a bolt as well as a longer blade guide shaft. Hope this helps,Mike.

Thanks Mike Kees, appreciate your input. I will go with the cheapest route, Thank you.

Is the big old motor TEFC or is it open to allow sawdust inside? If it is closed I would buy that motor and consider switching it over to a newer bigger saw latter. I recommend taper lock pulleys for ease of removal and installation.
    Bil lD.

that 3 hp motor looks like it's from the 40s. i'm not sure if tefc had even been invented by then? I also find that those old motors have a lot of momentum compared to a modern motor. more mass spinning.

If you can mount the 3HP motor and it's less expensive, I'd go with that. It's single phase and you're replacing a single phase motor so it shouldn't be too complex. The difference in RPM will not matter.

The 3HP will require more current so you need to examine the existing wiring and on/off switch to make sure it will handle the additional current. If not, you need to replace the wire and maybe the switch.

Others have commented about the pulley. Your goal is to get the band moving at approximately the same speed with the new motor as with the old. You might have to blow the motor out with compressed air every now and then if the motor is located where swarf falls on it.

Good luck!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.