Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a good used Tablesaw.

Trying to find a good used Tablesaw.

New member first post and looking for help! I live in Lafayette Indiana and I'm trying to find a good used Tablesaw on the marketplace. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I see all the choices. I haven't done any kind of wood work in 20 years and was basically new to it then. I'm looking for something mobile as I'll have to take it out of my shed to work. I'm trying to stay under 250 dollars. I'm going to be starting with small projects. Nothing big but I would like to be able to go big if need be. I'd rather have a safe saw than a big saw. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Around here you sometimes see old Craftsman contractor saws for sale at reasonable prices. For under $250 that's probably what I'd choose. When I started someone gave me a Craftsman contractor saw without a motor. I bought a motor and used that saw for quite a number of years until I bought a SawStop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I’m just across the river in West Lafayette. If you become a contributor, drop me a pm and I’ll be happy to help you find a used saw. You will find the information here is worth a heck of a lot more than $6!

I literally just joined last night. What does that mean?

Figured it out and got it done!

I'm up in NW Indiana, will try to keep an eye out as well.
    earl

Do you have 240 volts or just 120?

I would look for a Delta/Rockwell contractor saw with either a biesmeyer or Unifence. A 30'' fence is sufficient about 95% of the time.Others would be Powermatic or Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do you have 240 volts or just 120?
    That’s a good starting point. Another is would you be up a for using a VFD if you have 220 or can add it? Used 3 phase machines can be had dirt cheap.

Another good question would be how far a drive are you willing to take? Chicago, Indy?
    Last edited by Matt Day; 08-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.

I have 120 as far as I know at this point. I recently moved into this space. It's a rental. Unfamiliar with the term VFD. Travel is not so much of a problem. I own a f150 super crew and as long as I clear it with the wife I can travel up to an hour and a half maybe 2 hours if I'm getting a great deal. There are a couple of Delta and Rockwell saws on the marketplace but that's about all I know. I've seen 2 Ridgid portable saws and a Skilsaw spt70. All under 300. Lots of Craftsman saws and a couple Dewalts. I just don't know what is a good deal and what should be run away from. I inquired about a Jet saw but the reviews I saw on Amazon for that model seemed lukewarm at best. I can provide links to the saws I've seen if that would be helpful provided no one has bought them yet. Thanks for all the help so far!

VFD is a variable frequency drive, it converts three phase 220 single phase 220.

When I rented about 10 years ago, I ran a 220 V extension cord from the dryer outlet to power my 220 V machines.

As most people have said, a Unisaw or Powermatic 66, or a used jet cabinet saw would be the recommended way to go. cabinet saws take up about the same floor space as a contractors saw.

Send me a private message and I’ll give you my phone number and we can talk on the phone which will make this easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hatcher View Post
    New member first post and looking for help! I live in Lafayette Indiana and I'm trying to find a good used Tablesaw on the marketplace. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at when I see all the choices. I haven't done any kind of wood work in 20 years and was basically new to it then. I'm looking for something mobile as I'll have to take it out of my shed to work. I'm trying to stay under 250 dollars. I'm going to be starting with small projects. Nothing big but I would like to be able to go big if need be. I'd rather have a safe saw than a big saw. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm not sure of the market around you, but down here the older Ridgid's pop up pretty often and sometimes people aren't crazy and price them right. I had one and the fence on it was pretty decent for the saw/price.

My advice is don't buy any table saw that does not have a riving knife. If you are new to woodworking that is a safety device that will save a finger or part of a hand. Riving knives have been required for any new model saw produced in the last 10 or so years. Google riving knives and how they work, also kickback. Kickback is responsible for most of the lost fingers using table saws.

There are many of these saw available including Grizzly. Even the low end portable saws from Lowes and HD have them.

No one is giving much thought to portability. .................

"As I'll have to take it out of my shed to work " !

This rules out Old Arn with a VFD. Makes cast iron comtractors saws problematic too. With a 30" fence they are going to take up a lot of floor space in that shed. If you can't roll them down a ramp or don't have a flat hard surface outside - they'll be no fun either.

A portable "jobsite" saw like the DeWalt dw745 is what I'd look at. Plenty powerful, great fence, small footprint stored on its side. Can be had for $325 new with a stand. $250 or less is a thin budget when looking for a good used contractor saw with a mobility base. Can be done though. You'll still have the space and mobility issues mentioned above.

Have you considered a track saw ? A bit above your stated budget, but is probably worth considering given your space constraints.

Picks of the litter around you in price range.

'https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/d/sheridan-table-saw/6933762493.html[/URL]

'https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/d/indianapolis-skilsaw-table-saw-spt70w/6963932119.html[/URL]

'https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/d/addison-rockwell-10contractors-table-saw/6965453412.html"]
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/d/addison-rockwell-10contractors-table-saw/6965453412.html[/URL]

'https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/d/la-grange-park-hitachi-table-saw/6964199739.html[/URL]

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/d/evanston-craftsman-10in-table-saw-with/6963283294.html[/url]
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-27-2019 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Direct links to Craigs list arenot allowed.

Unisaw or pm66 are portable.