Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to find a good used Tablesaw.

track saw and a good work table would be my first buy if i was starting over with equipment.

easy to store, easy to get out and use.

Esp. if space constrained.

I have a rigid hybrid 3650 saw and have been quite happy with it though.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 08-27-2019 at 2:19 PM.

A three phase saw might probably be the cheapest and definitely the best value, an 80 dollar VFD/inverter will run it from your household plug, you can make a mobile base for it to wheel outside.
    You would need to make a watertight box for the VFD incase of rain, mounted to the machine or mobile base, or mount the inverter cabinet inside and have a long lead to the VFD with no plug inbetween.
    You don't want a spec of rain to go anywhere near these things as they have massive capacitors that would be lethal if it had a malfunction, one reason why these things are not compliant with H&S standards.
    Very easy to hook up, but you must set the motor commands correctly because these things can be set to default 400hz which is for high speed CNC routers, you need to set these to 60hz if you're in USA
    so your motor runs at the correct speed and doesn't cook itself, motor pole speed and RPM are speed related also.
    You can tune them in to your supply easily by adding another second or two to the ramp up time.

I would be on the lookout for a saw with a riving knife, although I'm not sure many industrial saws have them.
    Folks here can advise you what models come with this most important feature of a tablesaw.

I haven't seen anyone state that they were able to fabricate one on an industrial saw.
    A riving knife is not the same thing as a splitter.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 08-27-2019 at 2:40 PM.

It might be to your advantage to start checking the Facebook Marketplace. Yes I seriously hate to reference Facebook, but you would be extremely surprised what people put on there and how cheap some stuff is. Some people just want a few bucks and are willing to sacrifice something away, some are probably looking to clear up some space and figure they got their use out of it, or whatever.................

I have also noticed a slew of older Rockwell machines, I think they were actually made by Delta, maybe mid 70's era(possibly older), some came as a combo package and had a planner on one side, but used a common belt drive motor, you just moved the belt to the machine you wanted power to. I think these are 9" table saws as well. That may or may not fit the bill for you? But I have heard a lot of praises for these machines. I see them with a cast iron stand and some look like they either removed the stand or something so they could be converted to more of a smaller table top type unit. You can find them on Craigslist from $50 to $200, but it seems like $50 is a more common asking price.

I found an old delta 2000 contractor's saw I don't know if that's good or not. They was 295 for it. Also a delta 36-670 for 175. Would either of these be good?

I'm new. My dad used to do scroll work for decorations at Christmas and small at home projects and I took shop classes. I like working with my hands but I don't know how far I'm going to take this hobby. I just want to start. I have very basic apartment style tools and that's it. I'm starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hatcher View Post
    I'm new. My dad used to do scroll work for decorations at Christmas and small at home projects and I took shop classes. I like working with my hands but I don't know how far I'm going to take this hobby. I just want to start. I have very basic apartment style tools and that's it. I'm starting from scratch.

Perhaps you can tell us more about your work space? Step up, flat on the ground, able to work inside at all ? How much floor space? How weathertite ? A big cast iron saw is going to rust if you can keep moisture / humidity at bay.

What do you anticipate cutting ? Big difference in the projects made with a scroller vs. a table saw.

I see lots of recs that might not be very good at all if you shed is on a rolling lawn and has two steps up to it. Trying to move a 300-400 lb cabinet saw out of that is not going to happen. Doesn't matter how good the "deal' is on one.

Do you have your heart set on a cabinet/contractor saw ? Sounds like maybe you do. Be aware that parts for Delta/Rockwell machines (except unisaws) are hard to get if not impossible. And tend to be overpriced if you can. There is at least one thread about this here currently.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-27-2019 at 9:12 PM.

It's a storage shed. 8x12. Its rainproof but not humidity proof. There is a small step but I plan on building a ramp. I'd honestly rather use the saw outside. The scroll saw was just meant to be an example that I've been around or used these machines a lot of my life. I'm pushing 40 now though and never really owned any myself. I'm just getting the itch to build and DIY around the house. I don't think I need a giant saw for cutting large materials but if it was capable I wouldn't turn it down. Mobility and size are what I'm looking for. I'd like it to be safe and powerful to get into some nice hardwoods if possible. If not I am patient enough to learn on what I get and invest in the future. I don't want to swing for the fence right out the gate and not need to. I'm trying to get the most saw that fits my space for my money. I will use Facebook or craigslist and I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours away to get it.

Note that a Rockwell/Delta Unisaw has a custom made motor. So if you buy a three phase version you can not switch the motor out cheaply. AFAIK all other belt drive saws use a regular motor that can be switched out for a single phase one. The Rockwell/Delta 12/14 tablesaw, which is just a overgrown uniaw, uses a regular motor. which I switched out for a single phase motor.
    i believe the powermatic cabinet saw uses a C-face motor
    Bil lD.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-28-2019 at 9:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hatcher View Post
    It's a storage shed. 8x12. Its rainproof but not humidity proof. There is a small step but I plan on building a ramp. I'd honestly rather use the saw outside. The scroll saw was just meant to be an example that I've been around or used these machines a lot of my life. I'm pushing 40 now though and never really owned any myself. I'm just getting the itch to build and DIY around the house. I don't think I need a giant saw for cutting large materials but if it was capable I wouldn't turn it down. Mobility and size are what I'm looking for. I'd like it to be safe and powerful to get into some nice hardwoods if possible. If not I am patient enough to learn on what I get and invest in the future. I don't want to swing for the fence right out the gate and not need to. I'm trying to get the most saw that fits my space for my money. I will use Facebook or craigslist and I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours away to get it.
    I think you will find a contractor's saw (like the Delta 36-670 you referenced above) to be extremely difficult to get in and out of an 8x12 shed even with a ramp. Plus, it will take up a huge amount of the floor space in the shed. I had a similar sized contractor's saw in my 2-car garage and even though I had a good wheeled base it was awkward to move around and would have been close to impossible to get up and down a ramp without a crazy amount of effort or some sort of winch. And if a contractor's saw is too big for your space, don't even think of a cabinet saw such as a Unisaw. They're all great tools, but probably not right for your space at this point.

A better recommendation for your space would be a jobsite saw, as was suggested a few posts back. Someone (it may have been you) mentioned a Skilsaw SPT70. I've seen good reviews on those, with the main drawback being that they don't have a wheeled stand. A saw with a wheeled stand that folds up may work very well for you. Ridgid, DeWalt and Bosch (and probably others, but those come immediately to mind) offer such a stand. Here's a recent review of jobsite saws. While those specific models may or may not be available used in your area, at least this review may give you a sense of what features are important to you:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...hootout/24024/

Table saws are handy tools, but as another poster suggested it may or may not be the right tool for you at this point. For dadoes and rabets, for example, table saws (with dado blades) are great, but routers can do those jobs just as well--and a router table will take up far less space than a table saw. Are you going to be cutting a lot of sheet goods to build cabinets? If so, table saws (except very large ones beyond your budget and space limitations) tend not to be useful until the sheets are broken down. For sheet goods, a track saw may be a better investment. Or at least a jig like this for a handheld circular saw:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2700-...60689063&psc=1

There are limitations with any tool choice, so think through what you want to do, get the best tool you can within your budget and space limitations and go from there. Amazing work is done with all sorts of tools--even hand tools!--so it's just a matter of learning to work with the tools you have. Don't let space limitations discourage you!
    Last edited by Jim Peck; 08-29-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: corrected typo

This is all the saw you're likely to need until you get 220v and a larger controlled workspace. Brand new, warranty, and only slightly above budget.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745S...t-items&sr=1-2