Thread: Adirondack chairs

Adirondack chairs

I know Adirondack chairs aren't very exciting, but my wife wants a couple Here's my question: flat back or curved? Looks like the traditional ones have flat/straight backs, whereas more modern ones have a curved back (curved across the shoulders/width, not from top to bottom).

Are the straight ones comfortable for long evenings spent sipping adult beverages? I like how they look. Or should I go curved back? To be honest, the only ones I've ever sat in were flimsy plastic ones from Walmart or some such.

Thanks,

Curved backs, that's how we do ours. Also make sure the arms are really wide, so you can set your dinner plate and a drink down on them -- brace them well, as someone might choose to sit on the arms.... We make the chairs with the legs cut from 5/4 pressure-treated decking boards, since they will be in contact with the ground.
    Last edited by Timothy Thorpe Allen; 08-26-2019 at 2:08 PM.

Curved backs. Straight backs are very uncomfortable. 2nd the idea of wide arms, that's the way I made mine.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

4. Recommendation for a plan anywhere online? - My wife just told me Sunday that she wanted a couple...

All the traditional plans I have ever seen include the curved back. I think that is the original and traditional way. The modern flat backed versions are for unskilled or lazy woodworkers.

I've built a few, definitely curved back (to answer the question), the chair I build the most is a design built by Norm Abram, these plans can be found on the internet at no cost. I have also been experimenting with a "classic" design by Tom McLaughlin that has the back slats curved in height as well as width. This chair is really comfortable, but the difficulty level bumps up a notch.

Just saw a Rockler ad that had chair plans discounted 40%, iirc.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Coffman View Post
    I've built a few, definitely curved back (to answer the question), the chair I build the most is a design built by Norm Abram, these plans can be found on the internet at no cost. I have also been experimenting with a "classic" design by Tom McLaughlin that has the back slats curved in height as well as width. This chair is really comfortable, but the difficulty level bumps up a notch.
    Norm’s chair is the most comfortable I have sat in. Looks good too. I have six.