Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Pocket hole screws

Test your set up on some scrap and spare the grinder. I don’t seem to fiddle with the settings very often but if I do I’ll run a scrap test and sometimes run two screws over tightening the second one to see how much room for error I have. Yup, impact driver. Just gotta pay attention

Look inside and see if the wood is splitting.

That much screw pop on every screw doesn't seem like over driving to me. I'd re-check my entire setup.

Make sure you do not drill too deep.

Pretty sure you are using the correct screws

Be sure to position the board properly, if you are too close to the edge, they might stick out there.

Blog Entries
    Experiment on scrap until you get it right.

Yeah I definitely like to test on scrap first. Maybe run one test screw down a little too far to see how much room for error you have. Keep your jig clean too, those shavings can end up in the perfectly wrong place sometimes

Checking the guide block setting might also change where the drill centers (just something to check)
    Then set drill depth stop. Check how deep the flat part of the counterbore sits - that determines screw depth and hold a screw/scrap there to see if it will break through or not.
    I tend to not use the pan heads on plywood because they are smaller dia, but use the screws that have the larger washer type flange on them
    And I use an impact. There might be less 'feel' than if I used a driver with a torque limit. Maybe I should use the driver. But still, I use the impact.

Double check your screw length. Maybe the wrong screws in package and mislabeled.

Blog Entries
    Small packages of screws are cheep. I keep several packages of different sizes so I will have some that are right.

I found same thing with my Kreg K5. I now set up as per instructions then back off the collar stop 1/16" to 3/32" especially for 3/4" and thinner stock. Still get enough grip