Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Thanks for your input. You have no idea what the electrical issues are and I'm not about to spend that kind of money just to use a dust collector. I found many reviews online by people who are perfectly happy with the dust collectors I asked about. I guess all those are incorrect or that they all are posted by people associated with the manufacturers. I was just interested in comments from those who have either of the collectors I asked about. I Feel one of them will fit my needs which no one here knows of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Thanks for the input. After much research and talking to an expert, I feel a small cyclone will get the job done. It is on the bottom end of what I need, but to my understanding should do the job. I plan to move it to the machine and it will be used on just two machines, but not at the same time. I like the Cyclone design. It appears to be more mobile than the two bag units. I know the mobility of the two bag units and have seen the cyclone in person and pushed it around.
    To my understanding, HP is the main issue as it is needed to turn the correct size impellor. That said, it appears other factors such as duct size, number of bends, how sweeping the bends are, length of the ducting, restrictions at the collector and the tool (port sizes), and how smooth bore the ducting is all affect CFM and FPM. My understanding is these factors can rob even the most powerful dust collectors of most their efficiency. Lastly, I was urged to be careful of manufacturers specs for obvious reasons and to be careful about what I read on forums. The person mentioned that there were knowledgeable people on them, but many who only thought they were and like the manufacturers they may just be promoting their system. Finally, I'm no expert. That shows in my previous dust collection setup with a 4 inch by 25 foot spiral hose running across the floor with bends and loops in it attached to a dust collector with specs that were just lies. Dust collection is not a top priority for me, but just a grudging necessity for certain tools in my shop.
    Ummm... And you don't think they do the same thing in reviews? ESPECIALLY if those reviews happened to be on manufacturers websites?

Also, I didn't see you state specifically what types/sized/spec'd tools you're looking to collect dust from. Your "person" was right that there ARE some EXTREMELY knowledgeable people on forums, including this one. And not only is there knowledge, there is also experience. We have, collectively, tried EVERYTHING! And you can interact with us, rather than just reading a one-sided review from who knows who.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I think I have the Jet unit you mentioned in you original post. I use it with all my tools and it's not let me down yet.

I use it with my Sawstop, Hammer 12" J/P and a ShopFox W1812 moulder. I use 5" metal duct and 4" flex hose to each machine.

I did modify it to make it a two stage as the main bag would fill up too quickly.

At present, I have no plans to get anything more powerful.

Update:
    I purchased the Jet JCDC-1.5. Very happy with its performance. Put a short 6 inch hose on it. I roll it between my planer and drum sander. Much more CFM than my old Central Machinery two bag machine.
    Glad I didn't follow the recommendations I got from some on this forum by rewiring my shop and changing the service out. Those who indicated this machine would not work well appear to have been wrong. So far happy with the purchase

Ok, OP, got what he needed. Let's both sides let it go.