Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

26 Aug 2019

Greetings,
    I spent some time working on the tear down of my 1960’s belt/disk sander. I need to get new bearings for it and I bought primer and paint for it today. I have some cutting boards to make and some more shop organizing to do.

That’s it for me, so what did you do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I got back to work in the shop last week after a couple weeks of travel to assist my mother in central Florida. A couple days of that were spent cutting some architectural reproduction components for a client who is restoring an older home...corbels and ornate balusters for the front porch in this case. I also spent time "finishing the finish" of a guitar body wet sanding with micro-mesh in preparation of a final polish with Mcguire's. This week will include making a custom 8' long threshold for a client and modifying a bed frame for my older daughter as well as getting started on a very large black walnut natural edge table top for a client. The two boards for that got dropped off on Sunday and are too large and heavy for one person to lift individually. I'm going to have to draft a "shop assistant" for moving things around for sure!

Oh, and Sunday and today were honey extraction days. 5 colonies...15 gallons. A nice step up from last year for sure.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-26-2019 at 2:42 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The weather has been very pleasant in NE Ohio for this time of year (often hot and sticky, but this year cooler and low humidity) so I've been working out in the yard a fair amount. But have still managed a fair amount of shop time. The base and top of my bench is done and I am working on fitting the vises now. Shouldn't be much longer! Next woodworking project in the queue is a mantle with cabinet. Still in the design stage. Hemming and hawing about material choice....leaning toward cherry. Almost all the woodwork and the kitchen cabinets in the house are dark finished oak, and while I love oak, I'm kind of over it and looking to move toward something else.

Also have promised LOML I'd build 4 more elevated garden beds before winter. The two I built in the spring worked wonderfully, with a bumper crop of tomatoes and peppers. They are about 3 feet off the ground and so much easier to work in and keep weeded compared to the old raised bed garden. The soil boxes are made from cedar; the legs are treated lumber. We have a 24 x 24 raised bed garden, but will replace most of it with the elevated beds.

4. replaced a bathroom faucet

installed new TV antenna
    put ladder away
    re-installed old TV antenna
    put ladder away
    installed new TV antenna in different place
    put ladder away
    adjusted new TV antenna
    nearly put ladder through neighbor's window
    removed old TV antenna, threw off roof
    put ladder away

roasted tomatoes

Your guys' things are better.

Günter, I am laughing at the picture you've painted. I have done the TV antenna sisyphean dance myself.....

I was making some custom trim, do go around the top of a shower surround, making it out of MDF and the trunion bearings went kaput on my table saw.
    Did not get all the trim ripped to width, so broke out he good old skil saw and a straight edge. After about and hour and several attempts I had a Clark Griswold mental melt down, luckily both garage doors were open enough for all my new neighbors to witness, with the finale being me slinging a chair and the shop vac to the east side of the garage. About that time the wife came out because of the commotion, asked if I was okay, which I replied yep, it's beer time.
    I did learn on Sunday that the trunion bearings are actually a very common automotive type bearing, went to the local parts warehouse, picked up 2 and managed to get my table saw back together and humming along just fine late Sunday afternoon.
    By that time I was or had more than had enough, so I decided to make a bottle opener that a coworker ordered, out of bocote. So I finished the weekend with a productive accomplishment, not much of one...........