Thread: Driving me nuts

Driving me nuts

I have created a master page in Corel 2017 that i use over and over doing save as file.cdr. So the file consist of page 1 with its own layout of guides and layers, page 2 has its own layout of guides and layers. I then create duplicates of page 2 including all layers. Up to this point all is good. What I have happening for some reason and never before so I think a setting is off. But when I insert images on the desktop they go to the grid layer of that page instead of desktop and then unlock the grid layer. For some reason I have to select the layers for each function. Let's say I am on page 3 and insert images on the desktop it puts it on the page 3 grid layer, have something on the desktop and copy and paste goes to grid layer automatically when it was on the desktop. Sometimes I will have a black box with white text and if it is not grouped and I copy and paste box goes to the desktop text goes to the layer.
    Any ideas?
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Whatever you do in Corel will always happen on the current layer. Since I don't have 2017 I can't test it, but see if you select the layer you want to work with and then close and save if it comes back with that same layer selected and if new objects go there. If not, you'll likely have to contact Corel support.

your 100% correct but that is not what is happening it is putting them on the guide layer and nothing goes on the desk top when it is off the paper.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Blog Entries
    Have you tried working with the backup version? Assuming you save as a backup? I've had files fail to open properly and have had to resort to the backups.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

This is why I rarely use 'typical' layers, or pages in Corel. The way I do things, layers just gives me grief.

My 'layers' all go sideways to the right, while the original working layer is always in the same place, top left corner of the page. Everything I do is in view, and I set the jog distance to move every 'layer' into the same position as the last one with one arrow click. Just zoom out, sweep everything with the mouse, click the arrow button...

here's a big job I'm currently working on, there's 10 'layers' which is a matrix of 7-1/4" x 1" plates, 2 across, 12 down, so the plate is 14-1/2 x 12". I set my jog to 15", so they're separated by 1/2". Here, all plates are done but the very last plate, which is in postion to run...
    mx.jpg
    BTW I create the matrix's in Gravostyle, MUCH easier than Corel IMO, especially with these plates where there's 2 sizes of text on 1 line... And for what it's worth using layers in Gravo allows me to send every batch plate to the machine at once- which is also possible and I've done it with Corel but the whole procedure is just a few minutes in Gravo vs MANY minutes in Corel. In this case, because the machine I'm using for these is the Explorer (Gravo doesn't work) and my BIL is running these and doesn't have Gravostyle on his computer, I create the 'layer' page like this and then he runs the plates.

To create this batch of 10 matrix plates, 240 plates total (minus shorts) from copy from Excel/paste into Gravo to done and ready to send to the laser from Corel takes me maybe 5 minutes.

A recent 'glitch' I keep getting from Corel, not a big deal, but for some reason the "selected only" checkmark, for exporting only what's selected, keeps un-checking itself lately? The problem is if want to export one page of the above and I don't notice, the entire page will export... Corel can be finicky, but what would we do without it?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle