Thread: Brush suggestion for T & G pine and shellac

Brush suggestion for T & G pine and shellac

I have decided to shellac my tongue and groove pine back and front prior to installation. I want a 3" or maybe 4" brush and have done some internet searching, but am not sure what type/brand is best.

Looking for suggestions for a brush that will give good results. Not afraid to spend more for quality if the results will be better.

Thanks, ron

Shellac dries so fast it is a finish better suited to be sprayed. It comes in a rattle can if you don't have the means of spraying. Dried shellac is easily dissolved with alcohol which is contained in the liquid shellac. If you don't work really fast or use a French polish system you end up taking about as much finish off as you apply. Then it sets up so fast brush marks are a problem.

If you really want to brush it use as soft a paint brush as you can find and apply thin coats. Just keep in mind it's better to have miss spots than to brush too long.

If you don’t spray I’d go for a watercolor wash brush with very fine synthetic bristles. Windsor newton makes a good line

When brushing shellac, I use golden taklon brushes. White taklon is probably fine too.

clean brush with DNA frequently to prevent gunk buildup in the ferrule.
    as said, better off using a sprayer. (such as the purple one at HF).
    if you decide to brush, it is recommended to clean and wash the brush
    thoroughly right after use. don't let it sit overnight in a can of solvent.

Last edited by John_ Smith; 08-27-2019 at 5:50 PM.
    -- I am a painter. That's what I do. I like to paint things --

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    When brushing shellac, I use golden taklon brushes. White taklon is probably fine too.
    +1

I buy reasonably priced golden taklon brushes at a local hobby shop.