Thread: Magport DC Fittings...

Magport DC Fittings...

I have a small basement shop, so the only tool that has a permanent DC hookup is my table saw. Everything else (bandsaw, jointer/planer, router table) are on wheels, moved into position for use, and connected to the DC via a hose. I had a metal adapter on the end of the hose to avoid having to loosen and tighten a clamp each time, but it was always a little bit (or a lot) of work to get that to hook up to the machine.

I saw these magnetic fittings online recently and they looked cool, so I decided to order a set of 5" connectors. They work really well. Easy to install with a standard hose clamp, instant connection that holds, no fiddling with that adapter, and no metal to bang around when I move the hose out of the way. I avoid having to use an elbow when the J/P is in planer mode, since the hose just stays connected. I haven't hooked up the one onto my bandsaw yet, but will the next time I need to use it.

Installing this on my router table required enlarging the opening so that I could recess the adapter into the back wall of the cabinet. The inside opening there is still 4" from when I first built it years ago, and more recently I had a 5" flange installed on the back (you can see the old screw holes), but it's so much easier with this new fitting. I simply screwed through the flange part of the adapter and into the cabinet; you can see one of the screws in the picture. They also sent me a branded sticker, so I put that above the opening there just for the heck of it.

Unfortunately it looks like all the 4" options are currently on backorder, but hopefully that will clear up soon. I thought I saw that the plans for making these on your own are available, so that's an option for those so inclined. I felt it was easier to just order them from the manufacturer.

hose.jpgjointer.jpgplaner.jpgrouter table.jpgrouter table connected.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Nice solution to the problem, thanks for the review!

Interesting but could make my own with strong magnets at maybe lower cost.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 08-25-2019 at 7:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Interesting but could make my own with strong magnets are lower cost
    Sure you could, but some might rather spend that time making a piece of furniture or turning a bowl rather than making it.

They look nice. And apparently a lot of people want them since most items are on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sure you could, but some might rather spend that time making a piece of furniture or turning a bowl rather than making it.

They look nice. And apparently a lot of people want them since most items are on backorder.
    That's basically how I felt. Plus I doubt I could make them as nice on my own, or at lower cost factoring in my own labor time. Yeah, the 5" models aren't super cheap, but I'll eat the cost for the overall convenience and quality.

That looks like a nice solution, Steve, and given the mobile tools in your shop, it's a great solution. I have to visit again one of these days...I haven't seen your new saw and I'd like to check out this magnetic setup, too...I may have an application for it actually as I've taken to using the drop for my router table for cleanup on and around the CNC and the magnetic setup would allow for easy extension of the hose to better reach the "south side" of the machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I have a small basement shop, so the only tool that has a permanent DC hookup is my table saw. Everything else (bandsaw, jointer/planer, router table) are on wheels, moved into position for use, and connected to the DC via a hose. I had a metal adapter on the end of the hose to avoid having to loosen and tighten a clamp each time, but it was always a little bit (or a lot) of work to get that to hook up to the machine.
    I have been using MagPorts for a while too and really like them. I have them on the 5" hose from my Mini Gorilla dust collector, and now on my table saw, router table, and Hammer A3-41. I used a short section of 5" hose, as you did, for the connections to the router table and table saw. I tried a different approach on the Hammer with it's 120mm dust fitting. I got a 5" Flexible Pvc Rubber Coupling with Stainless Steel Clamps, these are too big for a 5" connection, so I cut a section out of it and glued it back together with CA glue. Then I put several layers of Silicone Rubber Self Fusing Tape on the J/P 120mm output to make the diameter larger. While it was sort of an experiment, I think it came out very well.

Here are some pictures.

Bob

IMG_7366.jpgIMG_7367.jpgIMG_7364.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That looks like a nice solution, Steve, and given the mobile tools in your shop, it's a great solution. I have to visit again one of these days...I haven't seen your new saw and I'd like to check out this magnetic setup, too...I may have an application for it actually as I've taken to using the drop for my router table for cleanup on and around the CNC and the magnetic setup would allow for easy extension of the hose to better reach the "south side" of the machine.
    Jim, I'll PM you later about having you over for a shop visit.

I had a need to move my 5 inch DC hose to various machines, so what I did was take water closet flanges (toilet flange)
    and flattened the faces of flange smooth then drill 4 1/2 holes and glued neodymium magnets in each flange.
    they makeup together very well and have no air leaks. They have served me well I am now in the process of installing my automated dust collection system built using a Arduino Micro Controller to open the needed blast gate on the tool that is operating and closing all other gates.
    171D3111-DF37-4E52-85B6-4B991DA7AB05.jpgL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next time I am in a big box store, I will look at those flanges.

What a great idea. I already got some 1/2" magnets on eBay.

Lane,
    That is an excellent idea! Very creative. How much do you think it cost per pair? $10-15? Not including your time of course.

Hi Matt, Good question, I looked at the big box stores for the flanges and they were around $7.00 each. Since I use 5 inch hose with my system that has The Supper Dust Deputy at 5 inches I wanted to keep that size hose.
    going to a plumbing supply I found flanges that were cheaper and sizes that fit both 5 inch and the 4 inch hose.
    that come off my table saw. My band saw I use a 5 inch hose.
    The magnets I bought on Amazon 40 for $9.50 12 mm X 3mm they are rated at 35, 54 being the strongest neodymium magnets available.
    I did spend time flattening the mating surfaces by gluing a sheet of 150 grit sand paper on to a piece of MDF and elbo grease to flatten the embossed letters. I took them down to 220 grit and the fit is tight. To test for leaks on my system I use incense sticks and watch the smoke.
    I paid $4.50 for the flanges at the plumbing supply company.

ps do not ask me what Tim it is, I will build you a clock.