Thread: Detachable brass hinges..

Detachable brass hinges..

Not sure where to put this, so bear with me...
    I'm working on making some new plinths for vinyl turntables, and need some brass hinges to make the lid detachable.. I know I've seen it somewhere, but don't know the proper english name for it...
    These are high end turntables, and I want a lockable and detachable lid for it....so brass it is...

Blog Entries
    I think they are called lift off hinges..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lift-off hinges might be what you want. For instance https://www.hardwaresource.com/solid...off-hinge.html . Lift-off hinges work well if the hinge pin is vertical. That is, you can lift a door straight up to lift it off its hinges. And if you don't lift up, the hinge stays together. But your description makes me think that's not what you want. If your hinges are on a lid, the hinge pin is going to be horizontal. If you use liftoff hinges there, you'd slide the lid left or right to remove it. And, quite by accident during normal use, you could slide the lid sideways, and the lid would come off. That's not good behavior. So maybe you have something else in mind?

Not quite what I was looking for... This will be something like a large jewelry box, - the lid will be glass or acrylic in a hardwood frame. The hinges need to sort of "hook and bolt" - as something you would use for a hook-on side leaf fora coffe table......

Exactly!! Thanks... now I need to find them i brass, - preferrably

I did a little more Googling, and could not find them in brass. In fact, the ones from Lee Valley were the only ones I came across that were even brass plated. Otherwise, it's zinc, or steel with with either a black or nickel finish.

A couple of companies that produce them are Penn-Elcom: https://www.pennelcomonline.com/ and Reliable Hardware: https://www.reliablehardware.com/

They seem to be referred to as "flight case" or "road case" hinges - maybe that will help you with your search.

Good luck!