I more or less started this body at about the same time as my first build and showed the start of the finishing process in that thread. Well, it's time to move this one along.

Specifications for this Thinline-inspired body is a hunk of left-over heart-pine topped with vertical grain Douglas fir. I typically use Target Coatings finishing products...tinted coats for the burst were colored with TransTint dye and then clear coated with EM7000HB with the crosslinker (many coats). The black on the back is General Finishes "milk paint" in lamp black (actually an acrylic) which is also top-coated with the EM7000HB. That all happened about a month or so ago. This week, I attacked it with Micromesh to bring it to the place you see here. In a few days, it will get polished with Mcguire's once I'm done assisting Professor Dr. SWMBO with extracting honey from her honeybee colonies. I can't wait to see how the shine comes up even more. (I don't normally do gloss with the majority of my commission work for furniture and other things)

I have to be honest...I've never taken finishing to this level before and it's pretty satisfying so far. This body isn't perfect...there are things that could have been better executed, but wow...it's perdy!

Next step will be the neck. Part of me wants to take the "violin" idea further so today I ran a neck with a scroll motif that I had modeled a few weeks ago just to see how it might look. I'm on the fence. I've also been working on a Music Man style headstock design (4 + 2) that in some ways is more universally appealing to me if I decide to continue to build these things over and over for some reason. (That's a perfectly logical thing for a guy who can barely play guitar to do, right? )

Just as a note 'cause someone's going to ask...that's primer in the pockets. The conductive paint doesn't like to stick to the slick acrylic finish and I was out of the darker primer I keep around.