Thread: How can "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring possibly work?

How can "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring possibly work?

What keeps "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring in place? It's advertised as no-interlocking and not glued except at the perimeter if there is no wall bordering it. They say that when you move, you can take the floor with you. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbySUjCH6-s

The only samples of loose lay flooring I can find locally are attached to display boards, so I can't see what the back of planks is like.

I'm getting ready to put it (the snap lock though) in my Mother's house to replace carpet in places, making the house more handicap accessible. Everyone here on the lake that owns rental houses uses it. There are 2 million dollar lake houses that rent for 10k a week with nothing but "luxury vinyl" throughout the house. What we're now in the process of picking the color on snaps together like laminate flooring.

I haven't had a piece in my hands yet either, but it must be a pretty good system.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 08-24-2019 at 4:13 PM.

I wouldn't have it. It may work fair if you had a perfectly flat floor but who does. If there was lump on the floor there would be a bad seam you would end up tripping over. The stuff is 3/16" thick which would be like a bunch of rubber floor mats laying on the floor. You wouldn't be able to scoot furniture on it or even slide a chair back while sitting at a table or it would pull the planks. If I were going to use that type floor I would use something like this. The edges have a shelf adhesive tab where the planks are stuck together but not to the floor. https://www.asphome.org/tnhub/produc...cherry-luxury/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have a link that gives complete information? I can't tell if the price is per-sq-ft, per-plank, or per-carton. And it says "out of stock".

I'm betting you don't just lay it on flat floor, probably goes over the thin foam rubber stuff- which works great btw, put it under the cheap Ikea TG flooring we put in our mobile home 10 years ago, which by the way wears like iron, look brand new still...

And that HD ad is a bit, dumb? They're advertising a 6:1 h/w ratio piece of wood, the pic is a 2:1 piece?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My Wife, and I just came back from shopping for the flooring for my Mother's house. This was our first choice from the box stores. Neither of us could really get excited about the vinyl, so this is our current decision. I just ordered a box of it to try it, and see what it's really like on a floor instead of a sample in our hands. It seems very similar to the waterproof Pergo, but has a synthetic core instead of MDF, and the surface is real wood, with probably an aluminum oxide finish on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-N...-ft/1000534241

They do sell an underlayment that is a vapor barrier, sound deadener, and floor softener, but we'll see what we think about that after we play with the flooring by itself.

It was a case price. 16 pieces covering 24 sq. ft. for $34.79.

I don't know this company. I just went to googe images to find a similar product to what I had used before to illustrate what I was suggesting. It's very easy to install. Just take up the quarter round in the room and run it wall to wall and put the quarter round back down. You might have to put in a threshold or a transition strip down at the doorways and it's as good as any similar floor. Here is another place http//www.thecarpettree.com/vinyl-plank-flooring-jacksonville-fl.acp

I put some in our bathroom about a year ago. The end to end joints are okay and lock in. the side to side joints are lame. They do not lock they are a simpler cut then the end joints. there is no locking lip. I think I will have to take it up and glue the side joints from the back. Almost all the side joints have opened and some are more then 1/8" gap.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My Wife, and I just came back from shopping for the flooring for my Mother's house. This was our first choice from the box stores. Neither of us could really get excited about the vinyl, so this is our current decision. I just ordered a box of it to try it, and see what it's really like on a floor instead of a sample in our hands. It seems very similar to the waterproof Pergo, but has a synthetic core instead of MDF, and the surface is real wood, with probably an aluminum oxide finish on it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SMARTCORE-N...-ft/1000534241
    Tom, today, I returned eight boxes of this stuff. I was to install in a basement over existing asbestos tiles. When it's temperature is below 80 degrees, the edges become VERY BRITTLE, and break off. Almost impossible to get a tight joint, and many pieces become unusable due to breakage. Owner of property bought one piece as a sample, and the locking edge broke while she was handling it. Scraps in back of truck, out in sunlight become workable, due to softening in the heat. I don't recommend this product, as I consider it trash. Bruce

The flooring I suggested has an adhesive on the side and one end kind of like peal and press flooring. They adhere to each other well but when I used it didn't glue it to the floor. I suppose it could be glued to the floor but it was thick enough I didn't think it was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Tom, today, I returned eight boxes of this stuff. I was to install in a basement over existing asbestos tiles. When it's temperature is below 80 degrees, the edges become VERY BRITTLE, and break off. Almost impossible to get a tight joint, and many pieces become unusable due to breakage. Owner of property bought one piece as a sample, and the locking edge broke while she was handling it. Scraps in back of truck, out in sunlight become workable, due to softening in the heat. I don't recommend this product, as I consider it trash. Bruce
    Thanks for that!! We'll go with the luxury vinyl, and not spend any time bothering with that stuff.

The problem is the gap at the tub opens and closes with weather changes. No way to nail shoe molding to a tub.
    Bil lD.