Thread: Garage Extension

Garage Extension

So I'm thinking about adding a 30' x 13' x 11'H single level extension that would pretty much be where my truck is parked.

I would go with a sloping roof and take th highest part up to the trim below the gutters.

As I have a concrete slab in place, question 1, would they have to cut this and dig and put new foundation in and question 2, could the new interior floor be poured directly on this existing slab.

I would have the double window removed and that would be the access to the main part of the garage.

I'm not an engineer, however your concrete slab is likely no more than 4" thick. That would simply not be sufficient for any type of major structure. In my experience, such a slab can handle a small garden type shed structure and not much more. I would consult a qualified professional.

BTW........nice truck
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-23-2019 at 7:48 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Unfortunately, "we" cannot answer those questions...it's a local code thing so your first stop should be to have a conversation with your local building code officer to ascertain what the requirements are for such an addition as well as insure that you are not going to infringe on required setbacks, etc. I suspect you'll be required to put in a proper foundation if I had to guess.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, I just wanted to educate myself a little as opposed to be taken to the cleaners on quotes for unnecessary work.

I'm in the county and not the local town city limits, so the setbacks get relaxed a little, plus I've got about 20' to the side of where this extension would be and that side backs up to a 90 acre cow farm.

I'm getting quotes from a couple of builders, but still need to get approval from the wife which I believe is the major obstacle.

Thanks

I wouldn't do it without a footing. On the other part, the roof, I think you might want to raise your roof level to tie into the existing lines. That will bring it just below that ptac you have on the second floor, but your addition will then tie into the building and not look like an afterthought. It won't be much work and you will not have to deal with the downspouts on the corner of the house flooding your new shop floor.

You could saw the concrete where any footings need to go without having to tear the whole part up, and then pour more across what's left, and across the top of that side of the footing, to the new wall. Is it to be totally enclosed, or just a shed roof, and maybe the long wall?

It will be totally enclosed, 3 exterior walls and a roof. I will probably stick with brick to match the existing garage. I'm not sure whether I'll put a full garage door on the front, maybe a double door on the side wall towards the front.

My existing garage burnt down to the ground and was rebuilt in 2013, this was two years before we bought the house. They had a camper parked next to the garage, where my truck is in the photo, and it caught fire and took the garage with it.

Blog Entries
    I would set the wall back, terminating at the gutter in your picture. That way you don’t have to find a way to tie in to that corner quoin feature. I would suggest making a flat roof with a rooftop deck, turning that upstairs window into a French door for access. It would tie in better, and add an extra space up top for not much more money. Photo from internet.
    F18833C7-A116-42D2-99B1-62635AF04E7C.jpg

I suspect that you'll be best served by putting down a new floor surface rather than that outdoor oriented concrete. So if it has to go for footers, it will not be a horrible thing. If it can stay, you can still put in sleepers and a wood floor over it if you want for comfort.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you considered just building a separate building for your shop? That addition looks fairly complicated, and it might just be less expensive if you have room for a separate building.

Chris, you have nice house. Get someone who knows what they are doing to draw-up this addition so that it blends nicely with the existing structure. If you get it wrong, you will likely always regret it.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Is this just to house your truck or are you looking for a workshop space? If you are looking for space to work, I would put up a separate structure where that shed is behind your truck.