Thread: Water Chiller help

Water Chiller help

I have a speedy 300 and I am wondering how I would go about connecting a CW-5200 to my laser to cool it. How does it physically connect to the laser?

This summer has been flat out brutal here in north texas and my shop is getting way to hot.

Greg
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W, with Rotary Attachment
    Corel X8

Trotecs use air cooled laser sources. You cannot use a water cooler with one. Water coolers are used for glass tube Chinese machines.

You would be be much better suited getting an ac unit to cool the air for the laser and the operator.

I have one it is just not cutting the mustard
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W, with Rotary Attachment
    Corel X8

If the room's too hot and the room AC isn't sufficient, then you need to rig up a rollaround to cool just the laser. PIA but do-able...

Walmart has this AC for 3x less than a good chiller...
    wac.jpg
    it exhausts out the back thru a window, hole in a door, etc, so you'll need to rig that up. Somewhere on the Speedy is the air intake and cooling fan to cool the laser. What I would do, is get some 6" 'soft' flex vent, like dryer vent, then jerryrig the tube from the cold outlet to the laser's cooling intake. Use Duct tape, gorilla tape, whatever. Pieces of cardboard or whatever to fashion a plenum from the AC to the vent tube, whatever it takes to feed the laser cold air. For that matter, just setting the AC unit on a stool as close to the laser as possible so the cold air blows directly towards the cooling intake on the Speedy will likely be enough, you just need low 70-something degree air getting the laser tube. Extra air would help cool to the room

Here's a pic of my 'working environment', part of my basement shop- it's obvious that yes, I absolutely would do whatever it takes from rubber bands to chewing gum to keep the machines running and the workgoing out.
    shop.jpg
    "but it works" beats "but it looks good" ANY time
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Excellent advice Kev! I'd also pipe a little into the sides where all the electronics are. Not much but maybe a little. I'm sure the motherboard would appreciate it. You could pop the cap out the bottom right back side and push it into that that area.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.