So I am looking to run a 12” 40ft trunk line with 6 drops from my generic brand industrial 10hp dust collector. It has 3 large 24” bags and 3 large 24” x 72” filters. Not sure on the impeller size but it’s not huge. My question is would it be ok to use standard off the shelf 12” HVAC duct instead of spiral pipe? I can not get spiral pipe locally except in 10 foot lengths and it is very expensive as a special order only item at my local HVAC supply house.

I would prefer to use standard HVAC duct instead but I am concerned that my dust collector will implode the duct. What do you guys think? The HVAC duct will only cost me about $120 or so for 7 pieces. If you guys think that it will implode the HVAC duct I guess that I could save up and order the spiral pipe and cut it into 5ft sections myself. If I do this I would still use the HVAC wye’s and elbows as I am not spending $60+ each on the spiral pipe wye’s and $40+ on their elbows.

So....will the HVAC duct implode under the pull from my 10hp d/c? If so, is there anything that I can do to strengthen the duct or prevent this from occurring?