Thread: Windows 10 and Turbo Tax

Blog Entries

Windows 10 and Turbo Tax

I have been running Windows 7 and am perfectly happy with it but I just got a notice that Turbo Tax will no longer run on Windows 7 beginning next year. Upgrading to windows 10 is no longer free, it costs $139. Is there any way to still get it for free, or at least at a lower cost?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Do a google search there is still a free upgrade. Windows just isn't pushing it like they did back when it came out

As Jerome said, you can still upgrade for free. I just did my wife's PC without issue. However, after you download the disk image for 10 and put it on a USB stick, disconnect the PC from the network. That is, remove the cable. Also, when windows installer asks if you want the latest updates, say no. Only when you get 10 up and running should you connect the cable. 10 will then run to the mother ship for updates. If you leave the cable in and say yes to updates while you are installing, you will very likely have issues.

Don't forget to back up your windows 7 installation, just in case.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have been running Windows 7 and am perfectly happy with it but I just got a notice that Turbo Tax will no longer run on Windows 7 beginning next year. Upgrading to windows 10 is no longer free, it costs $139. Is there any way to still get it for free, or at least at a lower cost?
    Thanks
    I would send a message to turbotax that if they want me to continue to use their product then they need to rethink this ultimatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I would send a message to turbotax that if they want me to continue to use their product then they need to rethink this ultimatum.
    Not going to happen...largely for security reasons as well as the complication of supporting depreciated OS versions. The software may also use constructs that don't exist in Win7 to improve performance, security and functionality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Turbotax does NOT work well on Win 10 on my computer. There were various windows that did not display at all. The window would pop up but nothing in it. TurboTax help was useless except they let me download to a Mac and use that to electronically file. Could be a setting that needs changed but nothing obvious I could find. I hate Win10 more than Vista. Hopefully, your experience with Win10 will be successful.

I've used Windows 10 for so long now that it feels strange using a Windows 7 PC now. My employer went to Windows 10 about three years ago.

Windows 7 will no longer get security updates after January so it makes sense for Turbotax to stop supporting it.

I finally got a win10 computer, I've spoke of it before, an HP laptop that was given to me. And even at that, I got ripped off. Slowest- nah, lets just go with the WORST computer I've ever owned, and I simply can't believe it's all an "HP issue"... Slow to boot up. Ridiculous wait times on routine mouse clicks. When it updates the computer locks up. I've disabled many of the unnecessary start up programs, adjusted the services, hasn't helped. The ONLY programs on it are Firefox, Superantispyware, and my fiber laser's EzCad, where zooming in or out 3 wheelclicks takes like 4 seconds to actually happen. Browsing online, every mouseclick is wait.... wait... for something to happen. My oldest XP's hard drive died a few weeks ago, I spoke about that too. It's now running barebones XP pro 32 with not a single upgrade or service pack added, and it's easily the fastest computer in this house. But sadly, it's useless for dealing with the outside world because it's forcing us to buy new and 'improved' products whether we need them or not, and making dam sure the working perfectly old products are made incompatible, which forces web browsers and software companies like TurboTax to also become incompatible. If computers were actually 'improved' that would be something, but I hardly call the most high-tech computer in my house the worst computer I've ever owned an improvement. Nor is having to spend 2 or 3 thou$and bucks for a new computer that will keep up with my 2003 E-machine XP. And it's not all about 'security'. They can make my win98 machine just as secure as any Win10 machine-- But what they CAN'T do is make my 98 secure AND sell me a win10 machine at the same time.

So here's a novel idea, Mr. Gates, since "sell" is main priority-- How about I PAY you for updates for the machines I LIKE and NEED to use rather than paying you for new crap that doesn't work for me? I would GLADLY pay a reasonable price for upgrades- a quick googles sez Itunes song go from 69c to $1.29 each- something in that range for updates would be fine with me, I'd actually have a choice in the matter, and as an added bonus, no having to share my dollar with any pesky 'artists'...

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting sick and tired of being forced to buy new computers and software just to do my taxes or come to this website to complain about it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Why are you ranting at Mr. Gates? Not like he has anything to do with it.

The instances of Win10 I run are noticeably faster than any of the Win7 and previous generations of Windows I used. That includes both on a physical Windows box and in virtual machines. That said, there are a lot of "bad performing" consumer grade computers out there including with "big names" on the labels...the platform can make a difference.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My 2011 Dell Latitude E5520 runs just as fast now as the day I got it. I put in an 80GB SSD the day I bought it and switched to a 256GB SSD about two years ago. It was Windows 7 Pro and had been updated to Windows 10 Pro. It has an i5 CPU and 8 GB RAM.

Blog Entries
    So I got Windows 10 and it seems to work fine for this 100% non geek
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So I got Windows 10 and it seems to work fine for this 100% non geek
    If you put Classic shell on your windows 10 will look and act just like windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you put Classic shell on your windows 10 will look and act just like windows 7
    Classic Shell has been discontinued, there's a community version:

Note: As of December 2017, Classic Shell is no longer in active development. More details here
    Development has been picked up by volunteers on GitHub under the name Open Shell