Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorby 1/4" skew chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Mike,

If I'm not mistaken, skew chisels are deliberately made a bit softer, so Borg chisels may be perfectly fine.

T.
    Could be, but I don't see any particular reason for making them softer. I have a couple of 3/4" Hamlet (brand) skew chisels and the steel is very hard in those. Don't ask me why I bought those. It was early in my woodworking and I thought you needed to have some skew chisels. Never really used them except to play with them. I should sell them to someone who can use them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought a couple of 1/4" blue handled Marples (could have had the Record name on one, or both-don't know-don't care)off of the auction site for next to nothing, with free shipping, and ground them like I wanted them. The blue handled Marples chisels are the ones I use almost every day, including for many uses other than woodworking, so they're plenty good enough for me, and the people paying me couldn't care less about where my tools came from, or what they cost.

They were bought with some replacement Mahogany front, and Poplar sides drawers in an 18th Century Sideboard in mind, and did the job just fine.

I've only used a few Sorby chisels. They were not as good as any of my own chisels, and others here have reported some
    of them are too soft. But some say theirs are real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've only used a few Sorby chisels. They were not as good as any of my own chisels, and others here have reported some
    of them are too soft. But some say theirs are real good.
    I have four Sorby paring, three are good and one is a bit soft. I read somewhere, so many years ago, that skew chisels were made softer, because their use is very low, and since pushed, softness would aid pushing/paring, without the aid of a mallet.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

You could always get these if you need something quickly.

Narex 1/4" Skew Chisels.

71H-3n+3pqL._SL1500_.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"