Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tenon tooling for shaper...

Tenon tooling for shaper...

So where did you purchase your tenoning tooling from? I have a project that's going to require about 80+ tenons roughly 3/4" thick and up to 3-1/2" long. The length rules out cheating by using my Freeborn cabinet door cutters. I don't see myself getting to deep into doors and windows so not looking to spend on one of the high end sets that do the works. I just need a pair of somewhat larger diameter cutters, (6" - 9" dia. I'd guess?), that'll make a basic square shouldered tenon and won't break the bank. I've done some looking online and for some reason I'm just not finding them. CG Schmidt has some tenon tooling but lacking pics and CT Saw and Tool has no pics at all! I like pics b/c they help me make sure I'm ordering what I want, as I might not always have the correct name for the part

thanks,
    Jeff

Schmidt makes tenon discs that fit a shaper, they use CB knife stock, and are probably the least expensive way out if buying new.
    I have one, and it works pretty well considering
    I think Garniga and Zuani make them up to about 12” diameter. They use standard carbide inserts, and will be priced quite a bit more is my guess.
    I have some Zuani in I think 160 mm dia. They cut very nicely.

Blog Entries
    Whitehill is the cheapest, about 1/2 the price of Schmidt heads. 5" (125mm) up through 12" (300mm) the 200mm heads (4" max tenon) are about $165 each.

Though they take pin knives not corrugated like the Schmidt, but blanks are cheap.

https://www.whitehill-tools.com/cata...?cid=2&c2id=28
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 08-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Straight knives in the Whitehill discs work great, but I don't use mine anymore and just use the combi head flush mounted so the tenon passes over the top. Crisp clean corners with the scribes and shear knives but of course only one side at a time.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Jeff,
    For 3 1/2 long tenons depending on shaft size you will need about a 250mm disk. Tenon disks with knickers will give the cleanest cut. Off the shelf these are usually not readily available. White hill and Schmidt might have something.
    if you don’t want to spend on tooling stacked 10” saw blades give a consistent tenon. Shoulders have to be cut on a table saw but this would be more consistent than single side tenon cutting.

A0EA2348-C52D-47FA-BAF4-4CB97C3523F4.jpg
    E0E18810-7CC0-4C25-BAEC-C2AFB9EB198F.jpg
    FD837CC8-30E6-443F-B78E-F2ADF3424C8F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    So where did you purchase your tenoning tooling from? I have a project that's going to require about 80+ tenons roughly 3/4" thick and up to 3-1/2" long. The length rules out cheating by using my Freeborn cabinet door cutters. I don't see myself getting to deep into doors and windows so not looking to spend on one of the high end sets that do the works. I just need a pair of somewhat larger diameter cutters, (6" - 9" dia. I'd guess?), that'll make a basic square shouldered tenon and won't break the bank. I've done some looking online and for some reason I'm just not finding them. CG Schmidt has some tenon tooling but lacking pics and CT Saw and Tool has no pics at all! I like pics b/c they help me make sure I'm ordering what I want, as I might not always have the correct name for the part

thanks,
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff, here's the catalogue page that shows all the diameter options. Lots of pictures!

http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=105

Spurrs in the inside corner are really nice, but these do perform well.

They're also coming out with a range of 250mm diameter adjustable groovers which would have spurs (knickers), but you'd have to ask if they condone inverting them for use in forming tenons, I'm not sure.

B

The OP asked about a tenon tool for a shaper, but what about a tenoning jig for the table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

thanks,
    Jeff
    The other option of course (which is more expensive than what Jared suggested) are dual, fixed groovers depicted here: http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=101

Carbide tips, spurs (knickers) on both sides and option up to 1 3/16 high and 300mm diameter.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

Does anyone make a small diameter, full kerf, rip blade? I setup my Bridgeport for tenoning in the same way that you do the shaper, but the saw blades I've been using are .080 kerf and the plates aren't really as stiff as I would prefer them to be. Are you using a full kerf blade?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Sounds like a good opportunity to get a tenoner.

I got a pair of custom made tenon cutting disks from Freeborn in Spokane a number of years ago, but I don't think they will cut 3 1/2"; my shaper has only a 3/4" spindle and I didn't want to go too big. They worked ok, but my Millbury tenoner works a lot better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Jeff,
    For 3 1/2 long tenons depending on shaft size you will need about a 250mm disk. Tenon disks with knickers will give the cleanest cut. Off the shelf these are usually not readily available. White hill and Schmidt might have something.
    if you don’t want to spend on tooling stacked 10” saw blades give a consistent tenon. Shoulders have to be cut on a table saw but this would be more consistent than single side tenon cutting.

A0EA2348-C52D-47FA-BAF4-4CB97C3523F4.jpg
    E0E18810-7CC0-4C25-BAEC-C2AFB9EB198F.jpg
    FD837CC8-30E6-443F-B78E-F2ADF3424C8F.jpg

Schmidt and whitehill measure the bare head, so a 200mm whitehill head is 250mm with knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Sounds like a good opportunity to get a tenoner.

I got a pair of custom made tenon cutting disks from Freeborn in Spokane a number of years ago, but I don't think they will cut 3 1/2"; my shaper has only a 3/4" spindle and I didn't want to go too big. They worked ok, but my Millbury tenoner works a lot better.
    I have a millbury, but a couple tenon discs are cheaper, and take up a lot less space if you already have a shaper big enough to turn them.

Dave at Oella might have some resharpened used cutters. I've had luck with him. Tenon tooling is often not used much and shows up on ebay , CL, and facebook if you can access them. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    The other option of course (which is more expensive than what Jared suggested) are dual, fixed groovers depicted here: http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=101

Carbide tips, spurs (knickers) on both sides and option up to 1 3/16 high and 300mm diameter.
    Those look like what I have been wanting to buy exactly, for the same reasons. I have a bunch of large diameter adjustables but they will not go close enough together because of the hubs. Have another job coming up that I could use them on. Is there a place stateside to buy Whitehall, or even in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hubbard View Post
    The OP asked about a tenon tool for a shaper, but what about a tenoning jig for the table saw?
    I made about 50 tenons on a recent project, I settled on the Powermatic PM-TJ tenoning jig. It worked very well, although was pretty expensive. I was dealing with pieces of wood 36" long x 4-7" wide by 1.25" thick. I was cutting 1/2" tenons by 2" long. To use a table saw to make a 3 1/2" tenon, you'd probably need a 12" table saw blade or larger. The PM-TJ performed very well, but I just got a shaper a week ago and will probably do my next set of tenons on that.

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 08-23-2019 at 6:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Have another job coming up that I could use them on. Is there a place stateside to buy Whitehall, or even in Canada?
    Shipping to the USA or Canada is not an issue other than dealing with Customs import taxes. I recently ordered about $1200 worth of cutter heads and knives, shipping was $35 to Tennessee and although I got a call from US Customs, they didn't charge me any import tax.