Thread: Template Material Suggestions

Template Material Suggestions

Im looking for some advice. I need to make three large templates. Each one is about 2 x 5. The template will be laid on thin steel and traced around. It might be used several times at first and then may hang on the wall for two+ years between uses. At first I was thinking 1/4 mdf but is there anything at the borg or that might be better or thinner and still stable?

You can get mdf 1/8” or how about using plastic laminate
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hi Dan,
    I would recommend Masonite (tempered hardboard) for templates. I have used this material with great success. Approximately 1/8" thick x 4 ft. x 8 ft. for $8.98 per sheet.
    I think this would be easier to deal with than mdf, and would probably hold up better with use.
    David

https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-...-Panel/3014304
    Masonite at Lowe's.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-23-2019 at 10:29 PM.

I use door skin.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Look for 1/8" tempered hardboard. Both Home Depot and Lowes have it in 4 x 8 sheets, according to their websites.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You are tracing around it, not using it as a router template right?

Make it from something you can fold or roll up for easy storage. I have a roll of brown paper that I might use depending on the precision needed. Or you could use mylar or some other plastic or vinyl. Maybe ask at a fabric store, they use a lot of patterns. I trace with a felt tip pen, it makes a sharp line without pushing the pattern around. Blue tape is your friend.

I regularly cut templates from both 1/4" MDF and 1/2" MDF, many for clients. I think that Steve is spot on that if you can get the thinner 1/8" MDF product, that will be great for tracing purposes, but 1/4" will certainly do a great job, too. I use 1/4" for templates myself for tracing, but 1/2" if it's something that has to be used as a guide for say, routing an edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...