Thread: Old Delta 46-525

Old Delta 46-525

Just inherited an old Delta Rockwell 46-525 lathe from my dad. It had a spur center and a live center for the tail stock but I was hoping to get a drill chuck for hollowing out bowls and vases. The issue is the insert for the tail stock on this lathe is not a morse taper but a solid ram. I can’t find anything that would allow me to put a drill chuck into this stock. Am I stuck with only using the live center that came with it? Is there a way to adapt it? Do I need to try and find a newer replacement tail stock that takes MT2 accessories? Should I sell this thing and look for a newer lathe? Thanks for any advice.

You can buy drill chucks that fit straight shafts. You can also buy adapters to convert your shaft to a taper that fits a standard chuck. I had a chuck that used set screws to attach to a 1/2 inch shaft. I gave it to a turner who had a set up similar to yours. Mine came as an accessory to a Gilmore lathe/drill press kit back in the 70's. A drill chuck is a handy accessory, but really not needed for hollowing bowls.

Robert, I just looked through my junk box and I have a Jacobs 1/2 inch chuck that fits a 5/8 shaft with one set screw. The markings on it are "Jacobs MultiCraft Chuck" Perhaps google can find you a chuck with that identification.

A5E26F40-7775-4401-8B10-6A52FD032A1A.jpgSo this is my tail stock ram with live center. I don’t see that the center comes off. Are you saying I need to fine a second ram without a center on it and then mount the drill chuck on that?

My first thought was that is a #1 Morse taper center stuck in your ram. I would try to remove it before doing anything else. Penetrating oil might help. Heat will work, but would be a last resort for me. A metal wedge with a u shaped cut to fit the likely live center shaft between the bearing and the ram would be a good first attempt. Another possibility would be to unscrew the lead screw if it comes all of the way out of the ram. If it comes out, you could use a punch to remove the center. It is possible that the bearing is a permanent part of the ram, but I really don't believe that is likely. You might google your lathe ID and see if you can find a parts diagram that shows this part.

I think Paul is correct, see exploded diagram attached.

Dave

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    I think Paul is correct, see exploded diagram attached.

Dave

Capture.JPG
    Paul is correct! It took a pickle fork to remove the live center from the shaft and then a 5 lb mallet and a bench vise to pound out the taper. Which for reference is an MT2.

I have an old Rockwell, 46-525 lathe. A true tank. I looked around and got the outboard Delta tool rest And turned a couple 14 inch bowls. A minimum speed of 300 made rough turning the bowl blanks very difficult. My tapers are MT2 in both head stock and tail stock.