Thread: Dust Collection System - Home Shop - Small Port Tools

Dust Collection System - Home Shop - Small Port Tools

Hello, new to dust collection and already spent over a month trying to figure this out.

I have a 1000 sq ft shop in a pre-stressed area under my 3-stall garage.

I have the following tools in my collection:
    - Shapeoko XXL CNC
    - Ridgid Jobsite Table Saw
    - Dewalt 12.5" Planer
    - Dewalt Compound / Radial Arm Saw
    - Wen Oscillating Drum Sander
    - Wen Floor Drill Press
    - Wen 6" Belt/Disc Sander
    - Palm Sander
    - Jig Saws / Circular Saw
    - Wen Tabletop Band Saw
    - Wen Scroll Saw

All of these tools have the 2.5" and 1" dust ports.

I've been looking and wondering if there are any options out there for me for the fine dust. My concern is that having such a large pipe diameter, there will be much less suction and less efficiency due to the small ports on the machines.

I've also looked at the new Oneida Supercell but THAT PRICE! --- What might my alternatives be? I've looked at all the normal: Jet, Baileigh, Oneida, Laguna C Flux, etc...

My plan would be to mount the system in a corner. I would then run a line to a central point in my shop as ALL of my machines are portable and can be easily rolled to the center. I would then run a 45 degree splitter. One leg would go over to the drill press which is the only item that is stationary. The center location would just be Three different drop downs with flex hoses held up on the ceiling until they needed to be dropped into the room to run to different machines depending where they are sitting at the time. I'd have different attachments to connect to the specific machine I'm using at that time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using just a wall mounted shopvac with a long hose. The fine dust is kicking my ass and lungs. MDF, other woods on the CNC and sanders mainly.

Thanx in advance. (Pics of shop to give some sort of idea of setup ideas...)

Rolling cart is where I mount a majority of my tools to keep them stationary while using them. IE. Radial Arm Saw, Drum Sander, Scroll Saw, etc. Last picture is sideways for some reason. Machine would go next to garage door where the Christmas tree is on the Panoramic Picture.

Again, Thanx for any input and help with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's most important is that because all your tools have small ports, you need a system that can handle that higher static pressure and move enough air to extract the chips, etc. "Regular" dust collection systems are not optimal for that in most cases, but companies like Oneida do engineer such systems. Of course, there's a cost factor there. You're other option is a higher-end vac type extractor such as Festool or similar...they typically have a lower sound level and are designed for small tool extraction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What's most important is that because all your tools have small ports, you need a system that can handle that higher static pressure and move enough air to extract the chips, etc. "Regular" dust collection systems are not optimal for that in most cases, but companies like Oneida do engineer such systems. Of course, there's a cost factor there. You're other option is a higher-end vac type extractor such as Festool or similar...they typically have a lower sound level and are designed for small tool extraction.
    So - a dust "EXTRACTOR" vs Collector... I never thought about that - nor have I ever known there to be a difference. Thanx for the input

Checking into Festool - It appears that the hose is only about 1.5" hose opening. I'd have to find an adapter to up the opening to the 2.5" ports...
    Last edited by Rick Swartwood; 08-22-2019 at 2:46 PM.

A shop with that machinery can be tough. You are kind of in between a Festool type dust extractor, a shop vac, and a small single stage dust collector.

A rollaround dust collector with an upgraded filter that you can hookup one machine at a time might be an option.

RAS is a tough one and a big dust producer, as is the TS. These require creative solutions (or spending money) on this like an above blade dust collection port for the tablesaw. And things like a circular saw are going to have very limited dust collection unless you have a nicer saw like a festool that has built-in dust collection.

Something like this kit from Lee valley might be something to think about. It’s not ideal and cannot pull a lot of CFM, but might be a good start and dust collection for you.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...=1,42401,62597

I started with no dust collection, then had a shop vac, then a single stage 1.5 hp unit, and now have a 5hp cyclone with 6” pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Swartwood View Post

Checking into Festool - It appears that the hose is only about 1.5" hose opening. I'd have to find an adapter to up the opening to the 2.5" ports...
    The units take multiple sized hoses...you don't want to use the small diameter hose with the non-hand-held tools. The inlet to the extractor is larger...I connect a standard Rigid flexible vac hose to mine from time to time when I'm using it with one of my sanders which are not hooked up to my cyclone's duct network.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For the tools you describe I would probably just use my rigid shop vac that pulls through a dust deputy and has a quasi hepa filter on the exhaust. It works well for sanders and my domino and my DeWalt track saw. It worked OK for my Ryobi BT3100 table saw but did not work well at all for my SawStop. I have never tried it on my planner or jointer but I am sure it cannot move the volume of chips they produce. I just hooked up a HF (Harbor Freight) 2hp DC to the SawStop and will connect it to the router table, jointer and planner when I have time. But for the tools with small ports, I will continue to use the shop vac. I believe it will do a better job. I currently just sweep up after the jointer and planner. They do not produce fine dust like a sander does.

I think that the range of tools that a lot of us use require both a DC and a shop vac. DCs are just not meant for less than 4 inch pipes/hoses. I have mine piped with metal 5 inch necked to 4 at the saw.

OK...

First and foremost - Thank You for the reply's and the input. Here's what I've narrowed things down to:

I've been racking my brains for over a month now. How do I spend my hard earned money on the best system that would operate the most efficiently in my shop with my collection of tools...

OCD - check ----- These are NOT listed in order of importance or priority

Number 1: Laguna P-Flux 2 hp

- Reasons: 76 decibels (my shop is a prestressed shop under a 3 stall garage. Floor, Ceiling, all walls except 1 (my shop is not sqared) are concrete - 8 walls) - Many angles to my shop due to my required design on the house.
    - Height: Ceiling height at 99". Therefore I CANNOT cut into the drywall and install motors in the rafters. Impossible. Concrete
    - Appearance: I have to admit - the Laguna P Flux 2 hp is a sexy setup and I love the "Darth Vader" look
    - Customer Care: I've heard they're not great
    - I've read issues with all the "GADGETS" that the P Flux have to offer
    - Lack of Separation... I've read they don't do a great job at this part

Number 2: Clear Vue 1800 5 hp
    - Reasons: Cream always rises to the top and this setup ALWAYS shows up with ZERO bad reviews. They use Wynn Filters from the start!!!! HUGE POINTS!!!!!!!!!
    - Height: 101" is their setup but I can adjust by getting a smaller collection bin
    - Noise: 78 decibels - However - real world videos show 90+ with everyone building soundproof rooms around the unit. My concrete tomb that I use as a shop echos a LOT so this is a major concern for me.

Number 3: Oneida V3000 3 hp
    - Reasons: Again, back to the cream.
    - Good Height at 88"
    - Best of the decibel ratings at 74
    - Price - Price - Price - Problem! about $800 more than the Clear Vue - worth the extra?

Number 4: Oneida SuperCell
    - Reasons: Focuses on small port machines (MY SHOP) - I have a very mobile shop in this area. CNC machine, Ridgid Jobsite Table Saw, Miter / Radial Arm Saw, Drill Press (Only stationary tool in my quiver), Tabletop bandsaw, Oscillating Sander, 12" Planer, 6" belt/disc sander, Scroll Saw. - NONE of these have a dust port larger than 2.5".
    - Worst Decibel Rating at 80
    - Oneida again... Price - Price - Price - Problem! - about $800 more than the Clear Vue - worth the extra?

Brings me back to my main Question - Do I invest in say the Clear Vue or Laguna to save money knowing that in the future I can upgrade my tools to ones with larger dust ports? Yes I will be sacrificing CFM by adapting down to 2.5" and 1" hoses to collect the dust from a 4-6" port at the source... Or do I spend the money and go with say SuperCell that "SPECIALIZES" in these small port setups for maximum performance out of my collection system? Now - all of this with the understanding that: These larger machines will produce WAY MORE CFM and even cutting down the pipes to accept my setup, will I still get more than 410 CFM that the Oneida SuperCell boasts (keep in mind they are the most expensive here at $3k with tax and shipping and NO ducting included on ANY of these examples)
    Last edited by Rick Swartwood; 08-26-2019 at 7:23 PM.

Thanks to everyone for their input and thoughts. (I posted on another thread - sorry for the duplication)

I have decided to go with the Oneida Supercell. It was a long decision but feel that system will work best in my current setup. I'll update this posting once I've had the opportunity to unpack, setup and use the new system. Looking forward to seeing this in action.

Well - Anyone up for the purchase of an Oneida cone from their new SuperCell? This arrived and the blastgate is a bit crooked. It is secured well and is only aesthetic. They did NOT want me to unscrew the blastgate - adjust it and redo the self tapping screws. They prefer to send me an entirely new cone since it's such a new product. They told me to "DISPOSE" of it as I see fit. I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew of anybody that'd be up for a retrofit somehow with an Oneida cone. Metal (Not plastic). Blastgate may or may not come with the cone as I don't know until I get the new one next Tuesday.

Supercell.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Rick Smartwood, if you've got your Oneida Supercell set up and are using it, can you give us your early assessment of it's performance?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kraybill View Post
    Rick Smartwood, if you've got your Oneida Supercell set up and are using it, can you give us your early assessment of it's performance?
    Bump. I'd also be interested to hear.

Given the tools you listed , the Super Cell was the best choice . Tough to service those small port tools w/ a bigger DC .

I’d get the supercell. In years to come you will likely upgrade each of your tools and find yourself with a combination of 2 and 4” port tools. The sc is a good middle ground for both.

Yes it’s a ton of money, but of all my tools, my favorite by far is my dust collector. I recommend splurging here. You will not regret it.