Thread: Help need with Powermatic 72 and 10hp Dust Collector

Help need with Powermatic 72 and 10hp Dust Collector

Ok so I am in the process of getting my phase converter setup and I ran into an issue that hopefully someone can help me with.

So I broke down and ordered an American Rotary 25 horse phase converter and also purchased a Siemens load center with the appropriate breakers for each of my machines. Three of my machines will hook up directly to the load center and the stock switch will power each machine on and off. Problem is that two of my machines did not come with their stock switches and I need to figure out what I can purchase to act as a switch.

The first one is a 3 phase 7.5 horse Powermatic 72. It came with a Square D safety shut off switch and what looks like part of the stock switch minus the front cover and buttons. (See pic’s). I am new to 3 phase equipment and not sure what would be the best and most economical way to get a switch going for this machine?

The second machine is a large 3 phase 10 horse dust collector. It has a nice almost new looking Balder 10 horse motor but no switch. What would I need to get this unit switched on and off?

Appropriately sized magnetic starters.

Motor contactors with correct amp overload and a pushbutton station for each machine. If they have control voltage transformers use that voltage for the coils or line voltage.
    You will probably end up with multiple stop/start stations for the DC. but you can start with one. For the Dc I like the illuminated ones.
    I do not see any pictures?
    Bill D

7.5 hp is the upper limit for a size 1 starter and size 2 is appropriate for the 10 hp. I've had better luck with NOS or slightly used NEMA Allen Bradley 709 or 509 starters than new small modules but your call. A good condition old starter is big and clunky but $50-100 on ebay. Some have only two overloads but many have three. The overload chart will be on the cover and you will need to buy the heaters separately but they are cheap. You want either a 120 or 240v coil so look at the coil when you buy. A few old starters might come with a 24v but most run off standard current. Unless abused, those old starters last forever and a scotchbrite pad on the contacts makes them like new. Dave

Would this one work for the 10 horse dust collector? It goes for $80 on Amazon.

Big Horn 18839 220v-240v 10HP 22-34-Amp magnetic switch.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    7.5 hp is the upper limit for a size 1 starter and size 2 is appropriate for the 10 hp. I've had better luck with NOS or slightly used NEMA Allen Bradley 709 or 509 starters than new small modules but your call. A good condition old starter is big and clunky but $50-100 on ebay. Some have only two overloads but many have three. The overload chart will be on the cover and you will need to buy the heaters separately but they are cheap. You want either a 120 or 240v coil so look at the coil when you buy. A few old starters might come with a 24v but most run off standard current. Unless abused, those old starters last forever and a scotchbrite pad on the contacts makes them like new. Dave
    I prefer Square D starters, after messing with everyone under the sun my list goes, square D, GE, AB, the older german stuff, I throw anything Furnas in the scrap pile.

I like the old starters but the newer ones have adjustable overloads so no need to find heaters to fit.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I like the old starters but the newer ones have adjustable overloads so no need to find heaters to fit.
    Bill D.
    They have a range, it's not usually large enough cover more than it should. Only good part about the garbage IEC stuff is its cheap.

How do I add pics? Don’t see an option on my screen for that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Would the Big Horn 18839 magnetic switch work for my dust collector? It is a 3 phase 10hp 240v magnetic switch and my d/c is a 10 horse so would it work she would I need anything else? The switch runs for approx $80 bucks on Amazon.

Anyone?? Big Horn 18839 3 phase 10hp 240v magnetic switch for 3 phase 10hp dust collector?

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    Dan, try contacting Big Horn. From their web site: 888 - 455 - 8665

Yes if it's a 10 hp starter it would work on a 10 hp motor. However as a couple others have said a size 2 square D starter would probably last you forever, this one maybe not

I have no problem buying a used major brand USA made contactor from the bay. I like square D and Allen Bradley.
    I like the linked push button station since it has a integrated LED and fits in a standard electricial box. But it is only for stuff that does not need a mushroom stop button for panic shutdowns.
    Since I added a mushroom stop switch to my table saw around 15 years ago I stop the saw with my knee. I bet I have switched it off with my finger under ten times total.
    Bil lD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30MM-Double...y/183804491100