Thread: Is it still possible to get a copy of David Best's "Unofficial Survival Guide"

Is it still possible to get a copy of David Best's "Unofficial Survival Guide"

His website is still up, but the links to CafePress don't seem to function any more.

https://www.cafepress.com/davidbest
    https://www.cafepress.co.uk/davidbest.14337605

A google search found a post on FOG about a year ago where someone was trying to find a copy without success.

The book is out of print, Jeffrey. A few months back, he posted it on FOG for download as a PDF, but that expired. I missed that chance. However, there are web articles he has written about his set up technique. Dig around and you will find it. Also, join FOG on Yahoo group. There are more than a few folks who are more than willing to help you with your machine. I belong to the group. FYI, searching FOG is an exercise in frustration, but it can be done, just need lots of patience. Why do you want the book?

Too bad about missing the pdf download.

I'm awaiting delivery of a Minimax combination machine (later this year), and I've been spending time reading anything I can get my hands on, as well as watching various youtube videos by Sam Blasco, Peter Nyberg and Steve Rowe.

From what I can tell, the book would be an excellent resource for a novice in such machines.

I don't have his book, but I think most people want it to help with setting up and adjusting their slider. That was my reason for wanting it way back. However, that information is available here and on line, though broken up due to different users asking different questions. I have Felder, so if I need help, I call Felder tech and/or ask on FOG or here. I have yet to be steered in the wrong direction.

I have been using a sliding table saw for about 7 years. I can not speak about combination machine (don't own one), but I know from experience that changing from a cabinet saw to a slider takes a bit of time. Now, I think the slider has an edge over the cabinet saw. I think the question is how much accuracy do you want out of your machine. If you want to cut to 0.001" then you will need a precision straight edge, precision level, dial indicators, and the patience of a Saint at first. If you are OK with less accuracy, I think you can get by with a straight edge and feeler gauges. I think once you know how to set up your slider, you can bring it back to tolerance much faster after each attempt. My first time doing it, it took me 2 days and the result was acceptable. Now, a few hours to get everything to about 0.001-3".

BTW, you can join FOG even if you don't own Felder machine, but don't quote me on this. There are folks there that doesn't have Felder machine. They used to though.

Sam has a very nice video about his jig for cutting small pieces. That one is gold. Steve Rowe is extreme as his shop is full of Martins.

Since you are going to take delivery of a SCM machine, search "Legno Lab" on youtube. Those editors all use SCM machines, combination machines, bandsaw, etc. If you understand Italian, great. I don't, so I just watch the woodworking.

I also get a lot of insight from hours staring at the schematic of my machines, sent to me by my Felder sale rep.

WS

The Legno Labs videos were good to watch. Giacomo is very practiced and fluid -- it's really impressive.

My expectations are that my productivity is going to go down for a while until I re-learn old habits into new ones. But I imagine that in the weeks after I'll be able to to the point where I'm getting more done (and at a higher quality) than I ever was before.

High degrees of precision tends to bite me in the butt at times. I'm the type of person who will spend too much time on tiny tolerances trying for perfection, then do something stupid like cut a dado on the wrong side of the line.

:-/

I suppose the main things I'd be interested in learning, are ways to use the machine that aren't obvious. A Fritz and Franz jig is a perfect example. That's not in the owner's manual -- I only learned about it from other people that were experienced in using a sliding table saw.

I've also never used a spindle moulder with a slider before. Other than the obvious (good end-grain cuts) there are probably plenty of ways to take advantage of a slider that wouldn't be possible with a cast iron table and fence.