I have zero experience with walkie stacker, forklift, and such similar equipment. I do claim familiarity with a pallet jack! The machines that I am looking at are getting heavier and heavier. My back is not getting any younger, the opposite exactly. In a perfect world, I would have a huge shop with a forklift, but it ain't so. So, I am looking at the walkie stacker as an investment in this love affair with heavy power tools. My reading online is informative, but I feel I don't get the entire picture. I have looked at most of the brands (there are so many) such as Clark, Toyota, Crown, Hyster, Big Joe, Raymond and a few others whose names escape me at this moment. Locally, there is a Crown and Clark dealer. Across the mountains, Toyota. The Toyota dealer's waning interest seems to relate to my scale of operation, single boy shop with interest in purchasing 1 piece of equipment. The local Crown dealer is the most professional and has an open invitation for me to visit to play with whatever they have on their floor with one of their technicians. This is a very good sign for on-going service needs after purchase, IF (huge IF) I ending up buying because the price quoted for one lift that I am interested in (4000 lbs lift capacity, 14 feet lift height, mass <80 inch) gave me a long pause (with the price quoted, I can buy quite a few Japanese kana with iron from some really good blacksmiths). "But it's an investment!" my better half told me. Stay away from the ER and the surgeons, she commanded.

So, I go seeking more advice and education here. Does brand matter? Is there a large distance in the spread of the prices? I prefer to buy local to support the local shops and also to access local support, but if the local after-sale support is nonexistence then mail order is acceptable. What are the salient points of buying something like this? Which of the specs are important? Location of manufacturing, USA vs Taiwan vs China vs mixed (most common it seems)?

I guess this is considered "power tool" and related to woodworking!?

WS