Thread: Hinge recommendation for a door to a shed loft area

Hinge recommendation for a door to a shed loft area

Hi,

I'm hanging a door in a frame I made for an opening on top of a shed. The outside of the frame is redwood, and the jamb material is hardwood (alder, I think). The door material itself is 3/4" thick exterior grade plywood.

I want the door to swing out when opened. There will be siding on the front of the door I can use to cover a hinge. If I want the hinge to go into the jamb, it will have to extend past the redwood (which is weak structurally). The redwood is 3/4" thick.

I picked up a 4" gate hinge but the hole pattern assumes the material next to the hinge barrel is good. Two of the screws would go into the redwood and the other two into the glue joint. Not good.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hinge for this?

Thanks!

--Ben

doorframe.jpg

You could use a standard cup hinge, like the ones on most kitchen cabinets. The screws in the jamb are set back 1.5" from the back of the door, which would put them well out of the redwood.

My shed doors are heavy contraptions made of exterior 3/4" & 1/2" laminated plywood & treated 2x6 & 2x4 cross bucks. The shed builder hung them on piano hinges, screwed into the plywood doors and soft treated SYP frames.
    They are still going strong after - geeze let's see - we moved in in 1986 & had the shed built a year or two later so that's about 30 some years, give or take.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon