Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool 125 Sander OK for $200 or not?

Festool 125 Sander OK for $200 or not?

I am looking at this sander because it's Festool and because it's relatively affordable. I would use it connected to a vacuum (not Festool). Any comments good or bad? Thanks.

I find that mine is a good little finish sander - excellent dust pickup and easy to control. However, with it's small (3mm) orbit, it is not a good all-rounder sander. If I were limited to a single sander on a budget, I would go with the Bosch 1250DEVS for its greater versatility at a comparable price.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Is it the ETS125?, which is not a very impressive sander. Not bad, just not up to the typical standard of Festool RO sanders.

It's a great FINISH sander.

I love mine, but use it just for finish sanding.

It's a great finish sander. It can be used with coarser grits to soothe out some rough spots, but it excels at finish sanding. i feel it is more sensitive to how much suction the vacuum provides. I turn my Festool CT down to the low end and that's the sander works best for me.

You do have 30 days to try it out and return it no questions asked with any new Festool, so trying it out in your shop on your vac would be the best way to see if it works for you.

Blog Entries
    I prefer my 150/5 ets ec. The pro5/125ets is ok.. but i wouldn't spend $200 (or even $100 on it)

On the other hand id spend $500 on another 150/5 tomorrow if mine went missing.

I have one and like it a lot for finish sanding. It was the first Festool sander I purchased. Later I got the RO90. Will probably add the ETS EC 125/3 at some point.

It is no better than the old Bosch $69 5" finish sander that they discontinued about 10 years ago and replaced with the crappy Bosch $69 5" sander that they currently sell.
    If you have a ETS150/5 and/or ETS150/3 then you will never use it except where you need 5" instead of 6" or have to use it upside down like on a wood yacht where you have a wood ceiling.
    If you want a lightly used one for $125, I have a couple of them. Really don't need more than one because it is the Festool sander you only use when you are working on narrow stock or working upside down where weight matters so one is more than enough.
    If you are buying your first Festool sander, spend the money for a ETS150/5 or /3 depending on your needs. WAY better sander but it is more $. I have several different models of Festool sanders but if I could have only one, it would be the ETS150/5. Don't get sucked into buying a BRAND, buy the sander that does your job well no matter what the brand. I will have to say that buying this is less of a mistake than buying a Festool Rotax anything because it looks like it fills multiple roles by looking at the spec sheets.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 08-20-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    It is no better than the old Bosch $69 5" finish sander that they discontinued about 10 years ago and replaced with the crappy Bosch $69 5" sander that they currently sell.
    If you have a ETS150/5 and/or ETS150/3 then you will never use it except where you need 5" instead of 6" or have to use it upside down like on a wood yacht where you have a wood ceiling.
    If you want a lightly used one for $125, I have a couple of them. Really don't need more than one because it is the Festool sander you only use when you are working on narrow stock or working upside down where weight matters so one is more than enough.
    If you are buying your first Festool sander, spend the money for a ETS150/5 or /3 depending on your needs. WAY better sander but it is more $. I have several different models of Festool sanders but if I could have only one, it would be the ETS150/5. Don't get sucked into buying a BRAND, buy the sander that does your job well no matter what the brand. I will have to say that buying this is less of a mistake than buying a Festool Rotax anything because it looks like it fills multiple roles by looking at the spec sheets.
    Why do you feel that purchasing the Festool Rorex would be a mistake? I was about to order an RO125. I like that it can either sand aggressively or softly. What do you think about it compared to the big 6” Bosch rotary model? I currently own a 6” Porter Cable that I use for situations that require really aggressive sanding. This big 6” Porter Cable does excellent for rough aggressive sanding but the vibration and lack of dust collection is a problem for me.

Rotex's are the most used Sanders I own, followed by ets, dx93 and ras115

Hi, that's the sander I use for going from planed material to finish.

It has great dust collection, it's comfortable to use and light in weight.

My hand also doesn't go numb when using it, something that happens with other ROS I own..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Coker View Post
    Why do you feel that purchasing the Festool Rorex would be a mistake? I was about to order an RO125. I like that it can either sand aggressively or softly. What do you think about it compared to the big 6” Bosch rotary model? I currently own a 6” Porter Cable that I use for situations that require really aggressive sanding. This big 6” Porter Cable does excellent for rough aggressive sanding but the vibration and lack of dust collection is a problem for me.
    The really good features of the ETS150 are that they basically sand by themselves. They sand and need a tiny bit of guiding around while doing it. Almost a "two finger" sander as they really don't require one hand to use. A Rotax 125 or 150 is a two hand sander. It looks good "on paper" as the specs show it does aggressive work and also has the same specs as the finish sanders when put in finish mode. The problem is the ETS finish sanders are so much nicer to use. So a Rotax really isn't a finish sander but an aggressive sander that will also finish afterward if you don't have a finish sander available. Just different units for different uses.

A lot of people think the RO125 is even harder to control in agressive mode than the RO150. People I know that refinish yachts like the RO150 and the Bosch 1250DEVS for the outside of hulls. These are not pleasant to use, just effective at their job.
    The ETS125 isn't a bad sander, just not very impressive. It has little power and has a tiny stroke. It really seems to me just exactly like the old Bosch 5" RO that worked well before Bosch changed it about 10 years ago.

Don't forget, Festool has the ability to send something back within 30 days so you could buy two and then decide which one you want to keep.

I think if you are building furniture, the first one should be a ETS150 and then possibly add from there. That is what my friend used that built production high end furniture. What I don't know is how the newer brushless units change that as I haven't even touched one. Looks like they may have lost the perfect balanced sands by itself configuration but I don't know.

All the other sanders mentioned are great sanders (ETS150/3, ETS150/5, and the Rotex125/150 sanders). It just depends on what you used them for. For my use, the Rotex sanders are overkill since I would rarely use the aggressive mode. Plus, I think the random orbit mode is more aggressive than other RO sanders and don't like it. The ETS150/3 or /5 are great sanders for finishing as well as smoothing down wood to start with coarser grits. However, they are a little large for some jobs. The ETS125 is still a great finish sander and, if that's what you're looking for, the dust collection can't be beat by any other sander on the market. All the other sanders mentioned are good for their uses, but they are much more expensive. The original post brought price into the mix so these other sanders really aren't close in price.

Thanks for all the comments especially those on all the various Festool sanders. I will be using this sander for finishing so I think the 125 will suffice. I really appreciate comments on the dust collection and lack of over-vibration. Those are two characteristics that are important to me.

Ellen