Thread: Best Finish Sander

Best Finish Sander

So, I've been using some of the Festool Rotex sanders for years, but they are no good for fine finish work even with high grit papers. The stroke is just too big at 5mm. So, I've been using some other other sanders with a shorter stroke, but they don't fit easily with my vacuum setup. Festool makes one with a 2mm stroke that I am really interested in, but I wanted to see if others have had good luck with it.

The Festool RTS 400 REQ is the model I am interested in. Has anyone used this or another sander with a super short stroke?

What is your best finish sander recommendation? I need to beat the sanding swirls!!

Thanks in advanced!!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

95% of the time, I use my 150/3. I rarely use the Rotex (because it's a two-hand tool) but when it's the right tool for the job, I pull it out with a smile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love my ETS 125. I tried my Rotex 125 for finishing since I had it out but quickly went back to the ETS. I would love to have a DTS 400Delta one day.

Hi, I have the 125 Festool, works great as a finish sander.............Regards, Rod.

Jon, I don't have an answer to your question, but another thought: what do you define as "high grit"? I used to have a heck of a time with swirl marks (especially on darker woods like walnut), but found that they totally disappeared once I worked up to 320. I actually don't even own a finish sander, any longer - I use the Rotex (in rotary mode, no less) to go from 120-150-180-220-320 in rapid succession. 320 is like an "eraser" that makes remaining swirl marks just totally disappear. Night-and-day difference from 220.

Blog Entries
    I bought a sander from the borg and it has been bullet proof. I actually have disk and sheet sanders.

Mirka Deros.

One of the few tools I think superior to festool

Blog Entries
    I never get swirls if I turn the vacuum down when using my 150/3.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The brushless festool sanders are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    95% of the time, I use my 150/3. I rarely use the Rotex (because it's a two-hand tool) but when it's the right tool for the job, I pull it out with a smile.
    Exactly what I do.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.