Thread: GF Arm-R-Seal or EnduroVar

GF Arm-R-Seal or EnduroVar

Anyone have an educated/experienced opinion on which would be "more bettar" for a dining table with respect to DURABILITY?

thanks -Bill

Here is "half" of an answer. The EnduroVar is shockingly durable. I just picked up a walnut coffee table that I made for my college-age daughter. The table lived for 2 years in a shared apartment with 4 other girls (and some boys I assume . Dad emoji!). I figured I would need to throw it out after all the tequila, beer and shoes that table probably saw. Well, it pretty much just needed some Pledge, and now it can go into my "don't go in there" living room.

Stephen

I've used Endurovar, ClearPoly and Arm R Seal. I believe Arm R Seal is the most durable, but also the most work.

The Endurovar and Clear Poly spray pretty easily and dry so quickly, I tend to use them on all tables these days. No complaints from anyone.

My new favorite is Endurovar because it comes in flat.

Both are very durable, but I'd give the edge to Arm-R-Seal for resistance to hot dishes and liquids left on it. That said, I'd much rather spray EnduroVar on a dining room table than try to spread ARS evenly on something that large.

John

Thank you gentlemen for the informative responses. Your input is very much appreciated.

Empirically, id say they are very close. Aside from that, a little nod to ARS looking a little better(its hard to beat oil finishes), but enduro var is really really close. Not to mention, why expose yourself to the solvents and the mess of cleanup? I spray 6-8 gallons of endurovar a year and it lays down beautifully in the right conditions. It will get orange peely in sub 50 temps, but nothing a little heater cant assist with.

I like oil-based finishes, but environmentally its probably time we collectively move away from them. The water-bourne stuff is good and only getting better. Besides, you can always add a little bit of transtint to your spray cup if you want more ambering.

Enduro Var doesn’t look exactly the same as Arm R seal, both are easy enough to hand apply. I don’t think Arn R Seal is meant to be sprayed.

If if you are spraying you should look at the Enduro Poly, I think it’s GFs strongest finish.

Prashun, Clear Poly also comes in flat, in case you were unaware of that. Clear Poly in flat (or maybe they call it matte) looks like no finish on many woods. Also, you can buy flatters from Hood Finishing for use in WB products. Works really well.

John

I was unaware that Clear Poly comes in flat. I haven't been able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I was unaware that Clear Poly comes in flat. I haven't been able to find it.
    Homestead Finishing carries it. So does Woodworker's Hardware.

John