Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon mini-rant

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    The emails that bug me are the requests to rate a purchase before I have received it. That reminds me of my other pet peeve is people who rate a product before they have used it. They give it 5 stars because it was delivered on time.
    Even worse is when the item is a day late or arrives broken and they give the item a one star review. Late arrival or being DOA has no bearing on if the item is a good item or not.

People seem to get pretty upset at an item being a day later than the seller said it would arrive. It wasn't all that long that ground or USPS they couldn't tell you which day your item would arrive. I believe package tracking has only been around maybe 25 years with any sort of real time tracking for maybe 20 years.

I have a package due to be shipped overnight as soon as the item is made. I will be upset if that doesn't arrive overnight as I paid a lot of money for overnight shipping. It is a part for an RV so I can take a trip next week. It only broke recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I think the questions are emailed out. I have received emails like "Can you answer...'s question?"

And I think the people replying do not really understand how the internet works and think an answer is expected of them even if their answer is not helpful.

Also, how DO you get bbq sauce off a 3 wood? I have been looking for something for ages. That famous daves is killing my club head speed.
    I gotta ask how did you get BBQ sauce ​on a 3 wood? I always use a sandwedge around the BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Even worse is when the item is a day late or arrives broken and they give the item a one star review. Late arrival or being DOA has no bearing on if the item is a good item or not.

People seem to get pretty upset at an item being a day later than the seller said it would arrive. It wasn't all that long that ground or USPS they couldn't tell you which day your item would arrive. I believe package tracking has only been around maybe 25 years with any sort of real time tracking for maybe 20 years.

I have a package due to be shipped overnight as soon as the item is made. I will be upset if that doesn't arrive overnight as I paid a lot of money for overnight shipping. It is a part for an RV so I can take a trip next week. It only broke recently.
    Yeah, too many people review the buying experience rather than the actual product.

I gotta ask how did you get BBQ sauce ​on a 3 wood? I always use a sandwedge around the BBQ.

groan..............actually, I was just ribbin ya............
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-20-2019 at 9:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

[QUOTE=Bill Carey;2946210]

I gotta ask how did you get BBQ sauce ​on a 3 wood? I always use a sandwedge around the BBQ. [/QUOTE

groan..............actually, I was just ribbin ya............
    OK BBQ sauce on ribs I understand.

Doug: Double groan! But in a good way....

I think using gmail entitles Google to read the content of your emails. Anyone notice a correlation between what you email about and what Google wants to sell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    [snip]

One of the fears some have against AI is if it becomes self aware it may see the human race as competition.

jtk
    Not to worry! Any AI that becomes aware will quickly recognize that we are not able to keep up and are totally not competition. We'll soon be left in the dust.

While AI systems are continuously learning, much of the human race remains proudly ignorant and perversely unwilling to learn anything new.

The real question is whether - or not - AI will find us worth keeping around once we've been left behind. What can we offer AI to justify keeping us around?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    ................ What can we offer AI to justify keeping us around?
    comic relief
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

In Fire Fox, go to History, and erase last hours worth after doing anything on Amazon. Gets rid of the cookies that tell them your computer is connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, I admit. I like the selection and the quick delivery. The reviews are often helpful as long as you read between the lines a bit.

What I don't get are the "we found an item we think you might like" emails. Say I've bought a left handed hammer, or a muffler bearing, or an insta-pot or whatever. Over the next few days and weeks, I will invariably get suggestions for a different brand/size/color, etc., of each of the above items. Usually multiple times.

What are the chances, having bought a muffler bearing, that I'm in the market for another one? I can understand if the item is a consumable, like rubber gloves, or baking powder, or the like. But how many people buy multiple insta-pots?

I quickly got to the point where I just delete those emails without even opening them; how can that be effective for the big A?

Not talking about things I looked at but didn't buy; these are items I actually purchased.

<EOR>
    If you use an email client it can be trained to send those unwanted emails to the junk folder. you will never need to deal with them.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Yeah, too many people review the buying experience rather than the actual product.
    Reminds me of the time I watched Phil Mickelsen hit a ball that rolled under a hot dog cart. The hot dog cart was ruled a movable impediment and several people picked it up and carried it away.

I can't use Amazon at all. Many years ago I applied for and received an amazon credit card used it for a while then decided not yo use it anymore and the card was thrown in a draw and eventually disappeared. Then one time when ordering stuff from them they asked for the usual security password and ID which I put in the I get this new this they ask as an extra layer of security they want the last 4 numbers of my credit card well thats long gone and theres noway around it so I called them and they fixed it but after a few months it was happening again so now I just buy off ebay much easier and most the time cheaper.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Not to worry! Any AI that becomes aware will quickly recognize that we are not able to keep up and are totally not competition. We'll soon be left in the dust.

While AI systems are continuously learning, much of the human race remains proudly ignorant and perversely unwilling to learn anything new.

The real question is whether - or not - AI will find us worth keeping around once we've been left behind. What can we offer AI to justify keeping us around?
    In mid-read of Homo Deus - A Brief History of Tomorrow (by Yuval Noah Harari). It has a very scholarly feel to it, so it is a tough read (slow). Available even on AMAZON!! I highly recommend his 1st book Sapiens.

He postulates that humans are busy incorporating AI into our physical and mental processes even as we type here, so we are creating the title beings, 'God-Man'. He makes an interesting point, extrapolating that man's historical treatment of any species/culture we consider inferior does not bode well for the future of mere Homo Sapiens. (...I'll let you know how we fare when I finish!)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 08-24-2019 at 11:03 AM.