Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best reason ever for owning a bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw. It is not a bench and I will not risk something getting spilled on it. Both dear hubby and our son understand this rule is non-negotiable.
    Good rule Lisa, although due to having a very small shop, sometimes I break it. I never however use it for storage or leave stuff on it when it's in use.

Here's a shot of my $10K finishing bench.................Regards, Rod.

Finish Applied.jpg

I view the bandsaw as the safest saw in the shop.

Glad this is not just me!
    NEVER enough flat surfaces in a work shop...
    I too try like hell to NOT put things on my TS, but, when all other surfaces are full, well....
    My goal is to do tasks, incrementally... task, clean up, next task, clean up, etc.
    too many open tasks, stuff all over the place!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Katz View Post
    For when you need to make a simple straight cut and your tablesaw is indisposed!

Attachment 414710
    It is pleasing to see you tidied up before taking the photograph

I have cut a piece of scrap carpet exactly the same shape and size of my table saw top I place this on the top when not in use

It then serves as a surface for my woodturning tools or a temporary bench
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-25-2019 at 6:33 AM.

I have had pretty small shops for some time now. The last one so small that my table saw was almost always used for partial assemblies and finishing. It is a nice flat surface for assembly. For finishing it gets draped with a piece of plastic first.

Having said that I do use it a lot, so simply piling clutter on top of it doesnt last long before it needs put away so I can use it.

Now I have two workbenches. One I use, and one I pile with clutter (and use a very small area of...)

I never say never to the wife, that's just asking her to test the rule. Lucky she doesn't go in the shop so I have only myself to blame. While I'm pretty good about it there are times when my work bench isn't as flat of a surface as I would like. A table saw is like a pool table. It's flat surface is so tempting, lol.