Thread: Jessem Router Guides on Table Saw

Jessem Router Guides on Table Saw

Hi Folks, newbie woodworker here. Just installed the Peachtree Uni-T fence on my table saw. Its a replacement fence face for the Unifence system and has a T-slot on the fence face. I was looking at getting featherboards but noticed the Jessem stock guide router table rollers would fit the slot. Jessem has no literature on the use of the router table guides on table saws. Has anyone had experience with this configuration? Thanks for any input.

I have those , as well as the table saw models. I haven't tried using the router model on the table saw, but have seen some posting here and there, along with at least one youtube video where this is done. The only downside I see is that the rollers are not very far away from the fence, and may not be as strong as the table saw model.

I believe the big advantage to the units made for the table saw is the adjustability away from the fence. I also find that to be the one feature that annoys me. I leave the table saw model attached to the fence even when not using it, just sliding the wheels to the top of the fence when not needed. All this stuff on top of the fence becomes knuckle busters when using my push shoes.

One of these days I will try using the router table models on my TS to see if they work as well as they do on the router table. I will just put a t-track on an auxiliary fence.

Hmmm. A thought...If I just screwed a t-track to the face of the aux fence, rather than insetting it, that would bring the wheels out a half inch or so. It would also be above the blade and not really in the way.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks, Rick. I found Dave Stanton's YouTube video on it. I am hoping to find someone on this forum with first-hand experience. I think I may just give it a try...

I have both router and TS stock guides. There is a HUGE difference in the robustness of TS model. If like me you are purchasing these as a safety device I would not think of adapting the smaller rollers to the TS.

Mike

Another with the router and table saw stock guides. For a table saw you really should get the appropriate ones. The router table ones are just too small for table saw application in my opinion.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

In addition to the differences in size and robustness that others have pointed out, note that the tablesaw guides are spring-loaded so that they can accommodate moderate differences in thicknesses.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Some good points made here. I had not thought about how much stronger a kickback would be on a TS Vs RT.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I want to clarify - I have a riving knife installed. The choice is between the stock guides and featherboards, mainly to keep the work pressed to the table for consistency in rabbets and dadoes. Do the router stock guides not provide as much downward support as featherboards? Thanks again for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Ghotbi View Post
    I want to clarify - I have a riving knife installed. The choice is between the stock guides and featherboards, mainly to keep the work pressed to the table for consistency in rabbets and dadoes. Do the router stock guides not provide as much downward support as featherboards? Thanks again for any input.
    They probably supply as much force, but the better question is are they suitable/stout/designed/etc to handle the kick back from a table saw? They certainly do not allow for the same amount of versatility in adjustments. Personally Id just save up a bit more and buy the right tool for the job. I have both and I wouldnt like being limited by using the router stock guides on my table saw. The difference in functionality is that great to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks, Ben. Good points.