Thread: Spar Varnish

Spar Varnish

Does Spar Varnish ever dry as hard as regular poly or will it always be a little rubbery?
    I've never worked with Spar and am a little surprised at how rubbery it is.

Oops just realized this post is in the wrong forum. Mods can you move it to the finishing forum?
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 08-19-2019 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Spar varnish is formulated to be softer and more flexible than "normal" varnish. The idea is that it goes on wooden parts like masts on boats. In service, the parts may bend, which might crack a more-rigid finish.
    The wood is also exposed to wide humidity swings, and wide temperature swings, and those cause wood expansion and contraction. So again, a flexible varnish may last longer than a rigid one.

What is your project? Interior use an interior finish; exterior use a spar/marine outdoor finish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Hi Scott

Long time no see. It was just a general question. I had replacement windows installed and spar varnish was recommended because of the UV inhibitors. I had never used spar before and noticed it was softer and more elastic.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Spar varnish doesn't get as hard as polyurethane but if yours is a little rubbery something is wrong. To the touch it would feel as hard as any finish. If too many coats were applied too fast it could make it feel soft until it hardens through. If that is the case it may crack. The product could be defective. What brand is it?

Varathane brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Varathane brand.
    Varathane Spar Urethane is not spar varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Goodhew View Post
    Varathane Spar Urethane is not spar varnish.
    I've never seen it before. A spar urethane can be used the same as a spar varnish. I know the Helmsman spar urethane is junk but I wonder if the Varathane is a good finish or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I've never seen it before. A spar urethane can be used the same as a spar varnish. I know the Helmsman spar urethane is junk but I wonder if the Varathane is a good finish or not.
    If you think Helmsman is junk. Don’t ever buy the Varathane.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Clark, what brand of poly and spar varnishes do you like?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Clark, what brand of poly and spar varnishes do you like?

thanks.
    Mark, I use the Helmsman. Really haven’t had any issues with it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt