I probably don't need yet another woodworker's bench, but the very first one I made 30 years ago isn’t quite up to par and I would like to replace it with a very stable bench, possibly a split top Roubo (the BenchCrafted design).

Years ago I had acquired, very inexpensively, a vintage G.M. Yost patternmaker's vise (similar to an Emmert), and it has been installed on this makeshift bench for many years.

My question is, in your opinion, should I build the split top Roubo with (a) a leg vise, deadman and wagon vise (i.e., the BenchCrafted design) and move the Yost to a 2" thick but only 30" high solid ash assembly table I already have; or (b) incorporate the Yost into the new bench, instead of a leg vise?

I have to admit that the Yost vise is very substantial for run of the mill front vise use, but I really haven't needed to rotate it, tilt it, or swivel the jaws very much, if ever. However, I have zero personal experience in working with a leg vise. In either case, I would still incorporate the sliding deadman feature and wagon vise.

I primarily do rectilinear work, but I can see myself getting into projects involving more hand shaping, in which case the features of the Yost might be beneficial. Assuming that the 2” thick ash assembly bench can properly support the weight of the Yost vise, I would have just as much room to use it there as I will have on the new workbench.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.