Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much time spent in the shop

When I'm actively working on a project (which now is most of the time), either for myself or for a client or family/friends, I probably average 6-8 hours; otherwise maybe 1 or 2. My wife is still working full time, so I do most of the errands, chores, cooking, etc., in addition to most of the yard work. I teach a class at a local university during the spring semester; TIS drops way down then.

I hope to get to the point of some of the other folks here. I am in the process of winding down in my current job and not sure if I'll end up going back to a full time job or not.

When I was working, I traveled 40 - 45 weeks per year, so shop time was limited. I'd get in for a few hours on the weekends but it would take me FOREVER to finish projects. But it was still a nice release from work.

Starting after Labor Day (first week of Sept for those outside the US), I will probably spend about 20 hours a week in the shop. It will be my primary activity as I stop working but there will be other things going on as well. I have to say, the opportunity to spend more time in the shop was the second biggest consideration, spending time at home with the wife being the first. I'm really looking forward to it.

This week I'm working from home, here's a photo of my home office.

No shop time for me this week though, note the crutch in the photo

Home offfice.jpg

From November through April - that is Winter here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - about 20 hours per week. From May through October - that is summer up here- very little time in shop except for repair work - instead I am on the road in the Corvette as weather permits.

My day job is a full time private practice that runs around 60 hours over 4 1/2 days each week. I only get into the shop on weekends and a Monday afternoon, and generally average about 15-20 hours each week.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've been retired for 10 years and average 30 - 40 hours per week in woodworking related activities. In the Winter it's all in my shop. The rest of the year it could be in my shop or it could be milling lumber. Last year I built a nice size shed to store lumber in which took 6 - 8 weeks. This year I'm building a solar kiln, just finished it actually. Back when I worked full time I usually managed to get around 20 hours/week in the shop.

John

Probably only 0-5 depending on weather and how busy I am with life and work. Not nearly as much time as I would like, but I also have a lot of other hobbies as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Full time job, so anywhere from 4 to 12 hours depending on what else I have going around the house and what project I am working on.

Guess I'm living the dream. I push wood for a living, so 40-60 hours a week is standard. Not as easy as it used to be, but I still love doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    This week I'm working from home, here's a photo of my home office.

No shop time for me this week though, note the crutch in the photo

Home offfice.jpg
    Crutch! Oh no, what happened Rod?

To answer the question: I'm a full-time carpenter/woodworker so shoptime depends on the job. I probably spend about half my working time in the shop, half onsite. When I'm building something for our house then the shop time goes into the evenings and weekends.

Between 15-20 hrs a week. I just started a venture supplying cremation boxes to several funeral homes. Looking toward something to do when I retire in a couple years. I also build mountain dulcimers. It will be nice when I don't need to go to a formal job and can spend what time I like in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Crutch! Oh no, what happened Rod?

To answer the question: I'm a full-time carpenter/woodworker so shoptime depends on the job. I probably spend about half my working time in the shop, half onsite. When I'm building something for our house then the shop time goes into the evenings and weekends.
    Hi Jeff, well I was walking through the park when I saw this small dog being attacked by a grizzly bear so I dove in to help. It was an epic fight, you should see what the bear looks like now.........Er, would you believe I tripped over a dog toy in the living room?

I folded my toes under and heard this loud crunch, then couldn't put any weight on my foot. Off to Emerg, X rays indicated no breaks, really sprained, off work for a week during a project at an out of town earth station........Figures.

Hope all is well with you............Regards, Rod.