Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time spent in the shop

How much time spent in the shop

I spend an average of 15 hours a week in the shop, I wish it were more but there's these pesky humans that keep taking time! How about everyone else?
    Where did I put those band aids?

About 60 hours, sometimes up to 70+

I used to spend 0 to about 12 hours in the shop per week...and then I retired from full time work, bought a CNC machine to add to my arsenal, and made it a part time (but fully legally setup) business and am out there more like 20-30 hours per week.

Keep in mind that of the very large group of folks who participate here, things range from "very occasional" woodworking all the way to beyond full time mid-sized businesses.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

30 to 35 hours a week. Unfortunately I still work full time. I retired and then got the proverbial offer you can't refuse to work from home. Sometimes I cheat and take the laptop downstairs to the shop and multitask.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

15 - 20 hours as a hobbyist.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I retired and then got the proverbial offer you can't refuse to work from home. Sometimes I cheat and take the laptop downstairs to the shop and multitask.
    hah! I did virtual office for 21 years with my employer prior to retirement a year and a half ago and yes, "multitasking" was very much in play many times. Not so much with the shop, but managing the family. It was a reasonable trade off for being available for a lot more hours than would often be the case for working in a formal office and I was successful enough to retire at 60.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was going to retire at 60 as well, but that was in 2008 - and I started over. But the single best thing I ever did to increase time in the shop was to quit watching any TV. Nothing. (except of course for Blackhawks games - I mean, there's giving up TV, and then there's complete foolishness)
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Lately about 16 hours/week. I still work full time M-F.

I have two projects in the works in the shop - New mahogany bookcase for my wife & a purpleheart wine rack I'm helping a newbie build.

I'm really enjoying teaching the newbie about woodworking - He's 27 years old and has never done woodworking and he loves every bit of it.

Just got back to start my 2nd shift at the shop. Might get a full 16 in today.

When wife and kids away, 2-4 hours on a week day, 12 hours on Saturday, maybe 10 on Sunday
    when wife and kids are around, 0.5 hours a day. 4 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday

I have full time work that is not related to my workshop.

Depends on the weather and how I am feeling.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

16 hours a week as hobby. At 60 I Work full time but trying to go part time so I can get a few more hours in shop,

Hopefully, two hours a day. It depends on how bad my back is that day. I took up the scrollsaw so I had time in the shop sitting.

14. I'm retired, so as much as I feel like. It varies pretty widely, but always at least several hours per day and sometimes long hours.

I have a fairly demanding full time job. Good weather = 1 to 4 hours a week. Winter weather = 6 to 8 hours per week.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.