Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Table

Game Table

My daughter asked for a custom game table that doubles as a dining room table. Being in my golden years, I never heard of a game table that is also a dining room table. After doing a cursory google search I realized that this is a cottage industry. I plan on using walnut I have in stock for the frame and legs and maple for the leaves. The leaves will be set in. I would like to use solid wood for the 4 leaves but am worried about warping. Veneered maple plywood seems ok for this application but I really like working with solid hardwood whenever possible.

Do to think 4 3' x 1' leaves of glued up 3/4" stock might be ok and not warp? Of course they would be finished on both sides. Berent-05-1200x800-01-700x467.png
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 08-19-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Just curious, what’s the difference between a dining table and a game table?

DSC07144_1.jpgI should have posted this pic as well. The leaves are lifted off to reveal a pit. All kinds of accessories are hung on the sides to prevent dumping in the pit. These gamers are serous!!

Ah, interesting. I’ll have to look it up, as that would make a nice poker table.

The Wood Whisperer has a Guild Build for a gaming/dining table: https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vid...-dining-table/

Thanks Tom. Yea, I checked out the little video. Once I saw he hung the pit bed from the raids independent of the legs and aprons I was off to the races. I do not have a large vacuum bag so I cannot veneer like he did. Still pondering solid leaves or maple ply.

Well, the leaves are removable and replaceable. You could make them with solid lumber, and if you find they warp too much, replace them with veneered sheet goods.

Where do the leaves go when the table is being used for gaming? Can you somehow store them underneath the table?

Good advice. We make stuff so we can make more stuff. Regarding storing the leaves, if there is enough knee room I will definitely make a couple hanging shelves underneath.

Thanks

You'll want to look up "The Prophecy" game table by Wyrmwood. Pretty impressive table with features like a mechanical lift system, waterproof cover, magnetic accessory holders, etc.

click-here-for-the-prophecy-1024x576.jpg
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Thanks John. Yea, high end woodworkers in Europe and the US are making fantastic game tables. Mine is made from solid walnut with maple leaves. My daughter said they want poker foam and speed cloth for the pit. Huh? I googled it and jeez, gamers and their tables are everywhere. Who knew!! I don't do big stuff anymore but using traditional woodworking techniques again is a joy.

I built the WW gaming table, using mahogany. Fantastic design. Love the G&G bridle joints.

Did you veneer the leaves?

Corey,

The WW table is fantastic. I already cut the top frame for mitered joints when I saw his video. Congratulations on building that table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    Corey,

The WW table is fantastic. I already cut the top frame for mitered joints when I saw his video. Congratulations on building that table.
    I learned a ton building this table. The friend I built it for decided he wanted it square. So I had to adjust a few things

Gordon, I did veneer the leaves. Used an iron on though, no vacuum clamping. Turned out great.
    2A0EA006-3AF1-4F8C-B4A6-3B8FA2BCE5A4.jpg51EBBC08-E51F-4988-8D62-7C9C3CECA64B.jpg