Thread: epoxy resin

epoxy resin

are there any epoxy resins that can be used with good results regardless of moisture content of wood-----tks,joe

Hey Joe,
    Can you talk more about the application, such as color requirements and such and what you're trying to do?
    I've been experimenting (playing around) with many different epoxies over the years. There are a lot of resins out there made for patching swimming pools while underwater....but they are not clear epoxies.
    Loctite makes their "Heavy Duty" epoxy which I've had in permanent high moisture environments and it stays hardened. Their other General Purpose ones really soften up when exposed to moisture for long periods.
    Either way...initial adhesion is going to be a focal point I'm sure
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

i want to color it----put in a form with small branch pieces or hardwood cutoff scraps---put in a pressure pot and turn it

I can't answer your question directly, but I buy my epoxy stuff from raka.com. Website is a little hinky, but they have a wide range of stuff (different resins) and very good prices. They must be a small shop, because when you call them, you get a real person that knows something about epoxy. Call them and tell them what you want to do, they will tell you if it will work and what resins to use.

They have all kinds of useful stuff, like resins with different viscosities, and a wide range of hardeners. For those that do boats and other composite construction things, they have all kinds of fiberglass of different weights and weaves, kevlar, carbon, etc.

No affiliation, just a very satisified customer.

Best,

Dave

West Systems G-flex epoxy works with wet wood, or at least in a wet environment. Might try them and see if they have a product for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Sounds like good suggestions above. I've done several pieces incorporating dyed resin and various bits and pieces put into it. Pretty fun actually
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Most epoxy resin do not like moisture. If you can dry the wood in an oven that helps. Also,coating the wood with a thin coating of resin before you embed it in the resin helps.

Joe, I started out trying to work with epoxy and resin on the cheap and found out that it wasn't worth the effort. I did 'sometimes' get a piece that was ok but never one I was really proud of. I now dry all my pieces in a Toaster Oven then stabilize before casting and get wonderful results! I use one paint pot for both processes. I just added a 1/2" lean lid to my paint pot when I use my vacuum. These pieces are Alumilite and Yellow Cedar Burl.
    IMG_8769.jpgIMG_8940.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .