Thread: Caulking for sealing joints in cedar fence

Caulking for sealing joints in cedar fence

I'm about 80% done with my largest ever woodworking project - replacing an 80' section of cedar privacy fence. Started in late May and planning to finish up Labor Day weekend.

One question that I have is there are some gaps in cedar boards at various joints. Since I live in a wet climate (rainy winters in Seattle), I am interested in sealing a few of these joints with caulking to keep the water out. Any suggestions on aesthetically pleasing caulking that will last a long, long time outside? I have used 100% silicone caulking, however, it's a bit on the ugly side with a milk-white appearance. Something clear would be nice.

They do make chauk in colors. Where are you going to chauk? If it’s between the slats the wood may expand and contract which could crack the chauk.
    Don

Blog Entries
    I think you are wasting your time and may create a bigger problem. Cedar is porous and absorbs water readily. If you seal the joints where the spports are any moisture that gets in through the wood or the sides will pretty much stay there and the caulking will help seal it in instead of letting the wood dry out
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If it needs to be that private you might consider board and batten.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think you are wasting your time and may create a bigger problem. Cedar is porous and absorbs water readily. If you seal the joints where the spports are any moisture that gets in through the wood or the sides will pretty much stay there and the caulking will help seal it in instead of letting the wood dry out
    Good point. You are 100% correct that the caulk will just seal in moisture that is absorbed elsewhere and will lead to rot that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Cedar is "the" fence material here in Central TX and the climate is largely warm and humid. I agree with the others: Be too afraid of locking moisture in by using sealant. The one exception is sealing the endgrain, since that is like a wick and sends the moisture straight through to ground level, where it will rot the post out at the base. But I would physically cap the post it in that situation. Can you post a pic of what you are trying to seal?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

7. I am not quite sure I understand the use case, but it sounds like what you might actually want is chinking.